Need help connecting 2nd wireless "access point" to existing network

uravip2me

Honorable
May 1, 2013
I would like to buy the right device to extend my current network. It is a basic set up with a cable modem feeding a wireless router. However I have the luxury of having pre-wired ethernet cable running to almost every room in the house. What I would like to do is feed (via ethernet) the new device that will expand my wireless range, with it located in the room/location with the weakest signal. I do not need the new device to connect wirelessly to my existing router/network.

The new device can either rebroadcast the current existing network name SSID... if this will not degrade the overall speed of the router. Or I am fine with the new device broadcasting a second wireless network name SSID. In fact that might be preferable so I can 'manually' select which access point I am connecting to.

My problem is I don't know whether to buy a "range extender" or an "access point" or a "bridge" or etc.

Sorry for such a dumb question but the more I research and read on this the more confused I become. Seems like it should be easy?!

What should I buy, hopefully spending "only" around $100?

P.S. I have read some about power-over-ethernet and the device does not need to do that but it's also fine if it does.

Solution

uravip2me

Honorable
May 1, 2013

Need wireless for phones, ipods, tablets, and laptop on the back deck etc. Also sometimes within a room, running ethernet cable from the socket to the device is "ugly" (wife veto).

uravip2me

Honorable
May 1, 2013

THANKS

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
What you want is a wireless access point, but not many are made so there aren't a lot to choose from. You can also do what I did, which is get a standard wireless router, then connect to it and configure it as a wireless access point (which in essence is making a dumb wireless switch out of it). This mainly consists of turning off it's DHCP so that it will not hand out addresses and attempt to route. On the router's web configuration page, assign it a static IP in the range that your existing wireless router is handing out. For instance, if your wireless router's IP address is already set to 192.168.1.1, then when configuring your second wirieless router as an access point you could set that address to 192.168.1.2. Then turn of DHCP in Wireless router #2. Now, when wireless devices such as laptops boot up and ask for an address, your wireless router/access point will just pass everything through to your first, main wireless router. In effect you've turned your second wireless router into a wireless switch (which is all an access point is anyway).

I must warn you, however, that turning a wireless router into a switch or wireless access point is more work than buying a wireless access point, and it will probably cost more. The upside is that you can always re-purpose it later as a router if you need to. A wireless access point will never be more than that, which in essence is just a wireless switch (dumb).

uravip2me

Honorable
May 1, 2013

Hi, thanks very much for the advice. I am not proficient at in-depth configuration (DHCP, static IP), so I am going to go with a "dumb" wireless access point. I am not sure if it's the cheapest but AMPED WIRELESS has one for "only" $80 list (less on the net). I could probably save a few more bucks but time is money and they claim "true plug & play". That works for me. This forum is awesome for the fast answers - - I spent a long time trying to read & research when I should have come here first !!