Need help connecting a hdd

G

hi there, i am looking for another hdd to go in my pc, i already have an hitachi deskstar 500gb sata and 2 dvd-rw drives and theres no wires left to connect the other hdd, what do i do? please help anyone. thanks so much in advance. specs if helpfull-

AMD PHENOM IIX4 920
8GM RAM
ASROCK K10N78 BOARD
DVD-RW X 2 (1 BLUE RAY)
ASUS HD 5450 1GB GRAPHICS CARD.

G

hi there, i am looking for another hdd to go in my pc, i already have an hitachi deskstar 500gb sata and 2 dvd-rw drives and theres no wires left to connect the other hdd, what do i do? please help anyone. thanks so much in advance. specs if helpfull-

AMD PHENOM IIX4 920
8GM RAM
ASROCK K10N78 BOARD
DVD-RW X 2 (1 BLUE RAY)
ASUS HD 5450 1GB GRAPHICS CARD.

my board does have 6 sata slots 5 are free so theres one part i could use but what about power?

What size/kind of Power Supply Unit do you have? Are these the "wires" you are short?

I don't know how much wattage your system needs (I suggest researching that!), but if the PSU doesn't have enough plugs to add a second hard drive, maybe you need a larger PSU.

However, if you have open/empty molex plugs, you can get a MOLEX->SATA adapter. These are common parts. Try newegg or microcenter.

And, if you buy a retail version of a HDD, the cables/plugs are (usually) included!

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
You can get a SATA data cable to connect the drive to the motherboard, but like foscooter said it could be in the box with the drive. But if you buy an OEM drive, that is much cheaper from a computer store for example, it probably will not have any cables with it.

G

thansk man. i need a new psu then with as many plugs as i can possibly get, maybe a 4 plus connect to psu. thanks for all your help.

G

no i have plenty of sata connections to motherboard theres 5 free so thats not a problem, its the power thats the prob as i cant see a power lead to power the 2nd hdd.