NEED HELP connecting my AIO cooler to my Motherboard

joshuajosh.mg

Prominent
Jun 7, 2018
I have a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S AIO cooler in my first pc build. I have already mounted the Cooler and installed it all I have to do is the wiring connections to my motherboard ( MSI Z270 Gaming M3 ) and I can’t figure out how to do it. There are three total cables, two coming from the fans that mounted onto the radiator and the third is coming directly out of the pump. The fan cables both have 4 pins and the pump cable has 3 pins. With the cooler came a V-shaped Connector thingy that I assume is for the radiator fans that the directions say should go into the CPU_FAN header. I did that but on the directions it says the pump cable should go into the header that says SYS_FAN even though SYS_FAN has 4 pins and the cable has 3 holes. There is no header on the Motherboard with 3 pins. Should I put the pump cable into the SYS_Fan, the PUMP_Fan, or somewhere else?

Solution
Pumps are usually best run at full speed, so the cpu header may need configuring to stop it ramping down when the cpu is cool; this is why they recommend you use a sys_fan header, as these normally default to 100%.

Yes, the splitter is to allow both fans to run from one header, however some modern motherboards have a second cpu header, so the cable isnt needed.

racksmith101

Respectable
The 4 pin headers on the mobile will accept 3 pin fan connectors, you can see that the locking ramp on the headers are offset to one side just plug the 3 pin fan connector onto the 3 pins where the ramp is. Personally I always plug the pump into the CPU header and the fans into the sysfan.

joshuajosh.mg

Prominent
Jun 7, 2018
I just plugged the radiator fans into CPU_FAN like the instructions say and then I put the pump cable into PUMP_FAN, which isn’t what the instructions say but is that Okay? Thanks.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Pumps are usually best run at full speed, so the cpu header may need configuring to stop it ramping down when the cpu is cool; this is why they recommend you use a sys_fan header, as these normally default to 100%.

Yes, the splitter is to allow both fans to run from one header, however some modern motherboards have a second cpu header, so the cable isnt needed.

Solution