Need help connecting NZXT s340 case fans

Mar 27, 2018
How do I connect the fans that come with this case? The only cable I see plugged to the fans say "Do not connect while pc is on" but these are the only cables connected to those fans, and how else would I get power to the fans to turn on? Should I still connect them?

Solution
The manual for the Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 (Ver 1) mobo (I assume that is yours) says it has one CPU_FAN header, FOUR of the SYS_FANn headers, and two SYS_FANn Pump headers. So you DO have enough SYS_FAN headers (1 to 4) to connect four case ventilation fans separately. Be aware that the case's two fans included are the FN v2 version according to the case website, which are of the 3-pin design. You don't specify which additional fan models you plan, but I'll assume they are similar. That type can can be controlled ONLY by a header using the older Voltage Control Mode, which CAN be done with your mobo. There are two items you should check and adjust for the configuration of EACH of the SYS_FAN headers you plug your fans into. See...

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
The s340 usually comes with molex connectors pre attached to the case fans. This is the labeled cable you're referring to. You can connect these molex connectors directly to your power supply if you wish, but this will cause them to run at full power all the time. The better option is to disconnect the molex connectors (you can disconnect them somewhere halfway the cable) and plug the smaller connectors into the case fan headers on your motherboard. These headers are usually labeled with "cha1" or "cha_fan1" or something similar. This will allow your system to regulate the fans' speed.

Hope this cleared thing up :)

gerrym

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

I'm looking at the same case for my threadripper build because I can't fit the wider cases. I plan to buy 2 additional 140mm fans for the front intake which would mean I would have 4 fans total. Since the motherboard (GB X399) doesn't have connections to control 4 fans I was considering buying a NZXT V3 fan controller but the reviews are terrible. Is there any other solution to control all 4 fans?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The manual for the Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 (Ver 1) mobo (I assume that is yours) says it has one CPU_FAN header, FOUR of the SYS_FANn headers, and two SYS_FANn Pump headers. So you DO have enough SYS_FAN headers (1 to 4) to connect four case ventilation fans separately. Be aware that the case's two fans included are the FN v2 version according to the case website, which are of the 3-pin design. You don't specify which additional fan models you plan, but I'll assume they are similar. That type can can be controlled ONLY by a header using the older Voltage Control Mode, which CAN be done with your mobo. There are two items you should check and adjust for the configuration of EACH of the SYS_FAN headers you plug your fans into. See manual p, 49. Under "Fan/Pump Control Mode" you can leave it as Auto, or set it to Voltage; do NOT set it to PWM, or those fans will run full speed all the time. Secondly, all the fan headers on this mobo can be set to use any one of many temperature sensors. In addition to the sensor inside the CPU chip, the mobo has about six scattered around the mobo. For each of the SYS_FAN headers under "Fan Control Use Temperature Input", set it use one of those, not the CPU sensor. At least one will be noted as a general mobo temp sensor, and others may be labelled to indicate particular mobo component areas in case you think you need to concentrate air on a particular item.

IF you want to combine two fans together on one SYS_FAN header for any reason, that is OK. The current load of those fans is low enough that you can connect from 2 to 4 such fans together on one header without overloading the header capacity (max 1.0 A total load). To do that, you need a SPLITTER like one of these

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423168&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-168-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423162&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-162-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882422017&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-82-422-017-_-Product

Any of these will do the job, depends on how many you want to combine. The important distinction between these and a Hub (a different device) is that these each have one arm that plugs into a mobo fan header, two or more output connectors for fans, and NO other arm types. A Hub (you do not want) has a third arm type that must plug into a PSU power output connector. Although your fans are 3-pin, the 4-pin type of Splitter will work with then just fine. Just be aware that, when using a Splitter, only ONE of its fans can have its speed reported by the mobo header, and others on that Splitter will be ignored. This has no impact on fan control.

Solution
Apr 9, 2019
The s340 usually comes with molex connectors pre attached to the case fans. This is the labeled cable you're referring to. You can connect these molex connectors directly to your power supply if you wish, but this will cause them to run at full power all the time. The better option is to disconnect the molex connectors (you can disconnect them somewhere halfway the cable) and plug the smaller connectors into the case fan headers on your motherboard. These headers are usually labeled with "cha1" or "cha_fan1" or something similar. This will allow your system to regulate the fans' speed.

Hope this cleared thing up :)
where on the PSU? your talking about the cable that says dont plug in while on?

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
where on the PSU? your talking about the cable that says dont plug in while on?
The fans in a NZXT s340 come with molex adapters pre attached. These adapters might come with a "Do not connect while pc is on" label and can be connected to a 4-pin molex cable on your psu. However, I recommend that you do not use the molex adapters, and connect your fans directly to your motherboard instead. This way your fans won't run at full power all the time.