Question Need help controlling an Android POS display

Liam_25

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Apologies if this is in the wrong category, not really sure what this falls under...

Hi, I'm having a few issues trying to connect to a point of sale shop sign that is running on android. It's a 42" display that can be controlled via USB and WiFi. However, when connecting the device via USB, all it does is charge my laptop, and does not appear on the connected devices list on both my MacBook and Surface Book.

When trying to access the machine over WiFi, it just does not appear to be on the network at all, even though the engineers who set it up definitely did connect it.

As far as the specs go for the machine... I have no idea. All I know, is when you turn it on, it boots up with an android logo. I have no information on what version the OS is etc... I'm completely stumped here... any ideas?

Any help is appreciated.

Liam_25

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Is this a separate android box behind a conventional monitor or is it built-into the monitor? What make and model device(s) are we talking about?

It is an all-in-one unit that is sealed with a metal casing. No ports are accessible, only a female USB cable that has been wired outside of the casing. As for the brand and model, it is not specified on the machine itself. Here is a couple of images of the unit: View: https://imgur.com/a/qsGHM7O

kanewolf

Titan
Unless somebody has the exact same item, it will be difficult for anybody to help you. We can't get documentation and we can't actually interact with it.

I am guessing, since you are asking here, that the original supplier is not an option for help...

Liam_25

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Unless somebody has the exact same item, it will be difficult for anybody to help you. We can't get documentation and we can't actually interact with it.

I am guessing, since you are asking here, that the original supplier is not an option for help...

Original supplier is the owner of the property , but they recently cut off the contract for the advertising and said to keep the display. Mainly asking in case someone on here has ever had the opportunity to access a POS display like this before. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone might have an idea on how to connect to this thing.

My current guess is the company that owns it is connecting it to their servers where it can be remotely administered, updated, and controlled. My thought stems from the fact it has both a WiFi antenna and a 3G antenna, so even if the WiFi goes down, it can still operate. Since the contract has been terminated now, I can't imagine they will be providing a service to keep them running for much longer.