Need help converting mains charger to a mobile

OM2

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
I have a table tennis robot I bought from Amazon.
It has a main charger that needs to be plugged into the wall.
I wanted to make a mobile version so I cab run with batteries and not need to plug into a wall socket.

The charger details are shown below:

PvX14U.jpg

I've never done anything like this before.
Where do I start? Is it possible?
The output says 9V 2A - not entirely sure what this means?

I don't mind using big fat batteries - as long as there are rechargeable + needs to last a certain length of time.
No good if it only last 5 minutes. 🙂

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a table tennis robot I bought from Amazon.
It has a main charger that needs to be plugged into the wall.
I wanted to make a mobile version so I cab run with batteries and not need to plug into a wall socket.

The charger details are shown below:

PvX14U.jpg

I've never done anything like this before.
Where do I start? Is it possible?
The output says 9V 2A - not entirely sure what this means?

I don't mind using big fat batteries - as long as there are rechargeable + needs to last a certain length of time.
No good if it only last 5 minutes. 🙂

Thanks.
Your adapter outputs 9VDC at 2 amps. The + is on the center of the plug to the unit and - is on the outside. You need to see if the DEVICE has power usage sticker. The adapter can output 2 amps but the device probably only uses 1 amp or 1.5 amps. You can get a DC to DC converter that takes 12VDC in and provides 9VDC out. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/SMAKNÂ-DC-DC-Converter-Supply-Waterproof/dp/B014ZRW60U
You would then get a power plug like the one on the current adapter and connect it to the output of that adapter. The input would connect to batteries.

OM2

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
I had a look at the device.
Erm... not sure what you mean...
"You would then get a power plug like the one on the current adapter and connect it to the output of that adapter. The input would connect to batteries. "

Can you show by using diagrams? Maybe just hand sketch in 10 seconds? 🙂

One thing I thought of... a mobile phone power bank! Can I use one of these somehow??
Would be amazing if I could.

Black wire to the negative terminal of battery
Red wire to the positive terminal of battery
Yellow wire to the center pin of power plug
Black wire to the outer pin of power plug.

Mobile phone power bank won't work - it provides 5Volts, 1A only, and anything else is even more complicated than the above solution.

Even easier - get a ready-made power bank with AC output.

OM2

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
"Even easier - get a ready-made power bank with AC output."
Where do I get one of those from?
EDIT: just found on Amazon 🙂
A bit to expensive for me. I didn't know they existed!

Black and red wire - OK, I get that, connect to the battery.

Yellow and black - not sure what you mean.
Sorry if I'm being dumb!

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ASJX5C8 - is this similar to the Amazon USA one? I'm in the UK

Jun 29, 2020
Dc to dc buck boost converter they are less then ten dollars and you can then run run it on just like 2 -4 18650 batteries. Ask the seller about amp out put but I think this is your best answere. You can get battery holders and buck boost and whole shabang for less then 20 bucks. Add a small solar panel make a renewable energy project. 👍

OM2

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Guys... I'm sure I am being dumb here... I still don't get it.
So I made a picture version of what is being suggested...
How does this look:

obaGrJ.jpg

Connect red and black to the battery - I get that.

Imagine I cut the existing adapter off - how do I connect the red and yellow?

Is it this simple???

Side question: what makes 18650 batteries special? Do they hold extra charge or something? I actually have plenty of supply of these!

EDIT: I thought UPS only supply enough power for like 15 minutes!! 🙂
I always used to think what's the point? I was told that 15 minutes during a power cut could be a life saver in data NOT lost?

I still prefer 20 bucks - this I could live with if I can make something that powers my unit.

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
How does this look:

obaGrJ.jpg

Is it this simple???

Side question: what makes 18650 batteries special? Do they hold extra charge or something? I actually have plenty of supply of these!

I always used to think what's the point? I was told that 15 minutes during a power cut could be a life saver in data NOT lost?

I still prefer 20 bucks - this I could live with if I can make something that powers my unit.

Thanks.
You need a battery more like this -- https://www.batterysharks.com/12V-7AH-With-12V-1Amp-Charger-p/ups12-7-ch12-1-xlr_x1.htm
A larger 12V battery and then a charger for that battery.

How does this look:

obaGrJ.jpg

Is it this simple???

Thanks.

If you are powering a computer, then yes a UPS is only good for a short time. If you are powering something that uses much less power it will of course run longer. In most cases a home UPS is to prevent the system from crashing and losing data or getting damaged, there is usually software installed to do a clean shutdown with a USB cable to the UPS that communicates with it. You can buy large UPS that will run for longer than 15 minutes, many of those are rack mounted.

OM2

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Thanks for the further replies.
Still none the wiser.
What do I do with the red and yellow cable in my pic? How do I connect with the adapter wire?

Red wire and yellow wire - what are they for?
If I strip the existing wire on the existing main adapter... will I find the same red and yellow wires?

Thanks for the further replies.
Still none the wiser.
What do I do with the red and yellow cable in my pic? How do I connect with the adapter wire?

Red wire and yellow wire - what are they for?
If I strip the existing wire on the existing main adapter... will I find the same red and yellow wires?

You can't always go by the color, although there is somewhat of a standard like this chart for a computer power supply. Remember once you cut up your power supply, if you can't get it working with the portable power you need to buy a new power supply. And when you cut off the standard power plug you can no longer use it with a wall plug. Which is why a power bank/battery with a standard power plug is a good idea, you don't need to mangle the power adapter.

15orange+3.3 volts25orange+3.3 volts35orange+3.3 volts44blackground54blackground64blackground73red+5 volts83red+5 volts93red+5 volts102blackground112blackground122blackground131yellow+12 volts141yellow+12 volts151yellow+12 volts