[SOLVED] Need Help Creating a Remote Access Media Library

Feb 7, 2022
My overall goal here is to be able to create a server from the resources I already have. I have an old computer that I am willing to attempt to turn into a server (i5-2100, 2 ddr3 4gb ram, 1tb hard drive, windows 10 home). I have a lot of experience with computers but have never gotten into the field of remote access or networking. I want to be able to view the pictures and videos on that hard drive from anywhere on my phone (iPhone XS). I'm willing to put in the work and do everything by hand, and ideally, I don't want another subscription for this. I only have around 400gb of pictures and videos that I want to be able to access and don't want to pay for a service such as google photos or iCloud. I really don't have any idea where to start. Any help, suggestions, or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Sorry, I must have incorrectly typed that. I meant 2 sticks of ddr3 ram, each 4gb. I don't know much about Linux but I'm willing to introduce myself to it. Do you have any reccomendations for where to start and what distros to learn?
For most of what you want FreeNAS is a good choice. I don't know if it can do real-time transcoding. Remote media access can be limited by upload bandwidth from your home. 4K video may have to be transcoded to a lower resolution to fit in your upload bandwidth, for example.
Personally, I recommend commercial NAS units. They have all the bugs worked out and "just work". Synology, QNAP, Thecus are the big three.

kanewolf

Titan
My overall goal here is to be able to create a server from the resources I already have. I have an old computer that I am willing to attempt to turn into a server (i5-2100, 2 ddr3 4gb ram, 1tb hard drive, windows 10 home). I have a lot of experience with computers but have never gotten into the field of remote access or networking. I want to be able to view the pictures and videos on that hard drive from anywhere on my phone (iPhone XS). I'm willing to put in the work and do everything by hand, and ideally, I don't want another subscription for this. I only have around 400gb of pictures and videos that I want to be able to access and don't want to pay for a service such as google photos or iCloud. I really don't have any idea where to start. Any help, suggestions, or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
I was going to recommend using FreeNAS but 2GB is insufficient RAM. Windows does not make a good "server". Some flavor of Linux would be much better, especially if you have an Apple phone.

Feb 7, 2022
I was going to recommend using FreeNAS but 2GB is insufficient RAM. Windows does not make a good "server". Some flavor of Linux would be much better, especially if you have an Apple phone.
Sorry, I must have incorrectly typed that. I meant 2 sticks of ddr3 ram, each 4gb. I don't know much about Linux but I'm willing to introduce myself to it. Do you have any reccomendations for where to start and what distros to learn?

kanewolf

Titan
For most of what you want FreeNAS is a good choice. I don't know if it can do real-time transcoding. Remote media access can be limited by upload bandwidth from your home. 4K video may have to be transcoded to a lower resolution to fit in your upload bandwidth, for example.
Personally, I recommend commercial NAS units. They have all the bugs worked out and "just work". Synology, QNAP, Thecus are the big three.

Solution