Need Help: Custom PC BSOD Errors

Aug 29, 2018
Good day everyone,

Need some help. Built my first PC recently and have been having constant problems with BSOD errors. Running Windows 10 64-bit. The SSD and RAM version are not specifically listed in the MOBO QVL, but different build sites showed no compatibility issues. Build follows:

CPU - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard - ASRock - Z370 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151
RAM - Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
GPU - Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
SSD - Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5"
PSU - Rosewill - 700W 80+ Gold Certified ATX

As for the crashing, I have not been able to isolate repeatable conditions which predictably cause a crash. Sometimes I get a BSOD soon after startup, sometimes while performing menial tasks such as downloads, but usually while playing a game (XCOM 2). It will run smoothly for up to hours at a time, and suddenly crash; sometimes this is tied to a high-intensity computing situation, but usually it is just random. I've received the following error messages on BSOD (memory management is the most common by far):
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
QUOTA_UNDERFLOW
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
BAD POOL HEADER
ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NOEXECUTE MEMORY
CRITICAL PROCESS DIED
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
ATTEMPTED TO WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY

From researching other threads related to these errors, the common theme seems to be either driver problems or bad RAM/SSD. I have attempted to troubleshoot as below:
- Reassessed all hardware placement and connections to PSU and motherboard.
- Updated all drivers and software: NVIDIA, windows, UEFI, kaspersky antivirus (what I use), etc. Still got BSOD.
- Used windows memory diagnostic. This produced errors on first run. I removed the RAM and cleaned with rubber, and changed slots (A1/B1). Next test showed no errors. After more BSOD, tried testing each stick individually, no errors. Still got BSOD.
- Entered UEFI and checked performance. Temperatures within normal range. All components were properly recognized. RAM set to perform at 2133 by auto settings - I set manually to 3000 (spec). This has changed several times when I've reentered UEFI to be set at different frequencies, don't know why. Still got BSOD.
- Ran chkdsk /f /r. No errors. Still got BSOD.
- Reinstalled windows, and re-updated all software and drivers. Didn't even get to download a game before a nice BSOD found me.
- Ran driver verifier. On restart, got stuck in BSOD loop due to verifier driver integrity errors. Obviously, this suggests a problem with the drivers (most of them were from kaspersky) but I cannot identify which or why it is a problem.

Haven't gotten BSOD yet as I type this, but it's probably just a matter of time. Any advice or help would be appreciated. My next step is to contact newegg and start getting my money back, but I would like to avoid this if possible.

Thanks

Aug 29, 2018

Yes, including in game. They remain within normal ranges. I also forgot to add to the troubleshooting list, I ran system file checker, no errors.