Question Need help deciding an upgrade route

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 2, 2023
Hello all,
My parents bought me a Cyberpower prebuilt gaming PC for my graduation a couple years ago. It is the i5-9400f/gtx 1660 combo with a b360m xtreme motherboard. I am looking to make some upgrades but not sure whether the option I am thinking of is a viable one. I was thinking of purchasing one of the top 9th gen intel CPUs since those are compatible with the motherboard I have currently and replacing the 1660 with a 3060. I should also mention I currently have 16 gb RAM and am looking to upgrade that as well. Basically, what I am asking is this a viable route to upgrading my PC? I am looking to go this route because I think it will be more cost effective plus I can upgrade it part by part rather than having to replace the mobo and thus having to get the other parts sooner rather than later. Let me know please

Since cpu is the current limiter, fix that first.
Then you can look at graphics cards and power supplies later.If you run cpu-Z spd tab for each slot, it will identify the ram module present there.
It is entirely possible that CB installed a single 16gb stick because it was cheaper.
Two sticks totaling 16gb will run in faster dual channel mode.

The case appears to be ATX size, namely it has 7 expansion slots.
MATX will have only 4.
The case has three front fan intakes which should provide adequate cooling, so reusing the case is likely ok. Reusing the case and replacing parts might also sit better with parents who bought it.

To improve the cpu capability as a first step, plan on a new motherboard and cpu.
At any price point, performance between Intel and amd will be comparable.
Buying new, stick with current gen.
I will recommend that if one starts with intel that they stick with intel.
There is a learning curve with amd.
Ryzen is particular about ram and compatibility.
With Intel, you could at least start with your current DDR4 ram

A $110 I3-13100F would represent a good cpu boost.
( would pay a bit more for the non F version and get integrated graphics if possible)
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-13100f-core-i3-13th-gen/p/N82E16819118433?quicklink=true
It will come with an adequate lga1700 cooler.

A B660 based motherboard like this #130 msi B660M bazooka would be good:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144528?Item=N82E16813144528

Mar 2, 2023
Since cpu is the current limiter, fix that first.
Then you can look at graphics cards and power supplies later.If you run cpu-Z spd tab for each slot, it will identify the ram module present there.
It is entirely possible that CB installed a single 16gb stick because it was cheaper.
Two sticks totaling 16gb will run in faster dual channel mode.

The case appears to be ATX size, namely it has 7 expansion slots.
MATX will have only 4.
The case has three front fan intakes which should provide adequate cooling, so reusing the case is likely ok. Reusing the case and replacing parts might also sit better with parents who bought it.

To improve the cpu capability as a first step, plan on a new motherboard and cpu.
At any price point, performance between Intel and amd will be comparable.
Buying new, stick with current gen.
I will recommend that if one starts with intel that they stick with intel.
There is a learning curve with amd.
Ryzen is particular about ram and compatibility.
With Intel, you could at least start with your current DDR4 ram

A $110 I3-13100F would represent a good cpu boost.
( would pay a bit more for the non F version and get integrated graphics if possible)
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-13100f-core-i3-13th-gen/p/N82E16819118433?quicklink=true
It will come with an adequate lga1700 cooler.

A B660 based motherboard like this #130 msi B660M bazooka would be good:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144528?Item=N82E16813144528

Okay thanks a lot for this input. So it looks like I’ll be keeping the case. It sounds like I should be upgrading the CPU, CPU cooler, mobo and PSU. I can keep the SSD, RAM, and GPU for now but look into upgrading that soon thereafter. Am I missing anything else? As for the motherboard, are there motherboards that are not compatible with the PC case or is that not a thing?

Okay thanks a lot for this input. So it looks like I’ll be keeping the case. It sounds like I should be upgrading the CPU, CPU cooler, mobo and PSU. I can keep the SSD, RAM, and GPU for now but look into upgrading that soon thereafter. Am I missing anything else? As for the motherboard, are there motherboards that are not compatible with the PC case or is that not a thing?
Some makers, like HP do use proprietary parts.
I do not see that here.
And, the i3-13100 will come with aq cooler; nothing else needed there.

One thing to look into is how to preserve your windows license.
It may be that you have a oem license that is tied to the motherboard.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-need-to/01138b10-1a04-4a6a-af4f-b062bc7fdc62
Others on these forums are more expert than I on this.