Need help deciding between ASUS P9X79-E WS ASUS RAMPAGE IV extreme black

NoviceBuider

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
This MoBo will be part of an Video Editing rig. Not sure sure if the x16 PCI Express availability trumps the Rampage even though it does have more USB 3.0 ports.

I plan on having 500g of SSD Raid 0 and 8TB of HHD in Raid 10. Would this be feasible with either card. Also, planning on running 64gb of RAM for heavy 4k rendering and possibly a virtual machine.

As the handle states, novice here... any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Either would suit your needs, might also look at the Asus X79 Deluxe, it and the Black are both Brand new X79 mobos....think would be happy with any of the three

NoviceBuider

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks for the response.

NoviceBuider

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Well, I've read quite a few negative reviews on the ASUS P9X79-E. First and foremost I'm concerned about productivity. So I'm now looking at the Rampage Black and the ASUS X79 Deluxe the have similar features but the price points are a huge difference. Is there enough reason to consider those two over the P9X79?

MykeyMyke

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

I've been trying to decide between the two boards myself, from what I've researched so far they both are high end, quality, the Rampage 4, has more fine tuning for overclocking where the P9X79-E WS has more of a preset configuration in 3 categories, 1. Energy saving, 2.Standard and 3.Performance. This may be fine for the rendering professional that occasionally likes a high performance gaming machine to wind up for a take it for a burn. At the end of the day the Rampage 4 can do everything the P9X79-E WS can do and more with the overclocking potential. I guess you could say it more accurately like this, the P9X79-E WS is a rendering beast rig with great gaming overclocking capabilities, while the Rampage 4 is a gaming beast with all the rendering capabilities that goes with a top contender, either way your a winner.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

+1 - Well put ;)

MykeyMyke

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

Negative Reviews can be sometimes based on norrow point of views. but overall if the same message is repeated, buyer beware.

You should watch this NCiX Linus video, it kinda changed my mind which way to go last night in my application because I'm like you a bit, I want a capable workstation for graphics and video design, I'm a graphic designer, and I do a fair amount of HD video creations that in the future may get more into 3d. I also want to overclock and game and just have a do all machine that won't bottle neck in any application I throw at it. What I seen last night in this video about the Asus P9X79-E WS is about compatibility with the video cards and the controllers, Linus installs a combo of GTX 780 and NVIDIA Quadro cards.

Before I watched this I was going to go with 2 Asus 780i's in SLi, but this may limit certain video applications I might want to employ that will not run on the cuda platform. I think seriously this I have to consider what my potential is for the hardware I have, since I don't want to find myself limited in any way when I'm in the middle of a job that needs to get done and everything comes to a stand still. I mean really that's the whole purpose of this build is productivity, I could care less if the board is black and looks good and runs games well if it limits my business which generates income!

Here is the link, it's a long video but very well worth the watch...
ULTIMATE Video Editing Workstation PC Computer "How To" Build Guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhkJLF3oyI8

MykeyMyke

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Adding a bit of a follow up to my last post to you and anyone else listening...

I'm probably as much even more of a NoviceaBuilder myself, yet I thought in an effort to help may have just been window dressing for leading you on. In some of these videos we watch on the WWW we sometimes are following advice from more experienced veteran's, and we in turn appreciate their sharing of their knowledge and wisdom. We put our trust in them for they have often learned the hard way and have earned that experience with awards! (which are esteemed, well earned and honourable)

I have to say the video I recommended had some contradicting information that had me going round and round in circles trying to make some sense of it all. That is running different 2 video cards like the builder suggested to do in the video. He was running a Quadro K4000 and a GeForce 780, on the Asus P9X79-E-WS M.B.

There is little real time evidence that this will even work as I have discovered in my effort to find the truth (somebody that has done it successfully) and that I could not find. When I did approach the outlet asking whether I could indeed have both these cards running on the same M.B., he responded from the info his Technical Dept, offered and came back with the problematic answer that two cards will have compatibility issues between the drivers. Here was his answer, "After checked with our technicians, As there will be conflict issue between different Video card using own driver, they do not recommend to mix different video cards together. Thank you."

Therefore I have to question some other aspects of the video, or at least now I am a bit more discerning on what I'm taking in. Let's face it there are lot's of opinions out there, we all have our point of view, yet experience is the best teacher, we would just rather not learn the hard way! (Trial and error really sucks!)

Furthermore after reading some rather negative reviews on the ASUS P9X79-E WS and their hard lessons in trial and error bios messages and so on I've decided to scratch this board off my list if I do stay with socket 2011 it will definitely be the Rampage Black at this point.

I am also questioning the whole 2011 MB/socket price range when I've heard there may be a new release in 2Q 2014 with Intel, somewhat putting the 2011 socket alone and pressing past this present tense with a greater hope of something new. Computer outdating is a cold hard fact. If this is true I should save my coin and just build a decent 1150 rig for half the price for now that will last me for a while till the price comes down in this present market and wait and see what's next and what's going to be around the corner in the future for the likes of us Renderer/Gamers, nerdy/nerds we wish to continue to be!

Looking at the numbers it's not unrealistic to build a comparable system in performance, invest in the cheaper MB and CPU, invest in add on's you want to keep like extravagant(GPU's) and move them over later onto the next phase.

I guess it will depend on the purpose of your build which is very individual. But for the renderer we need to get one thing straight, we want to render before we game, but we want to game too, it's only that we will do our gaming at a lower performance that a nitrous-oxide rig, but nonetheless we can overclock have the best of both worlds too, there will always be a sacrifice somewhere on these two platforms and that usually amounts to more money! I mean I like Rockn'roll and I like Blues too! I have the family sedan and I have the Mustang too! So as our story goes our time is well spent and we have a lot of fun building, planning, gaming and working our PC's to near death of an OC benchmark that works to maximum efficiency with what we've got, but always, always aiming for more>>>

In closing I'd just like to share this Comparison Test from Tom's here, that was impressive. It tests mid to-high-end AMD, GeForce and Quadro Cards , the benchmarks are amazing and it might dispel the notion of Gamer Cards performance vs WS Cards in various work loads and real time applications. What we think is good and all that stuff, really falls away in these scenarios as they are. It's really good to see the actual way these cards work, how they perform, their strengths and weaknesses in various software applications, pared against their intended use, it may really be good to know before you dish out all that hard earned coin!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/workstation-graphics-card-gaming,3425.html

Thanks for taking this time, feel free to share your thoughts

Mike