[SOLVED] Need Help Deciding how much cooling my system will need!

Jul 13, 2019
Hey! I am building a higher end PC which I haven't done before and don't really know how much I should be cooling my system. I am going to be using the following in my PC
-RTX 2080
-i7-9700k
-212 Hyper Evo (CPU Fan)
-8 GB of HyperX DDR4 (Might go up to 16)
-750 W Power Supply
-1 TB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" SSD
-MSI Z390 A-Pro ATX
-NZXT H500 mid tower (Including this just to show the fans that come with this are the only fans I have in total right now)
I was wondering how much cooling this would need and how much it would need if I decided to overclock my system as well. Thanks y'all :)

Solution
The 9700k is 95w TDP. That's the average of a series of apps at factory base speeds and settings. It's not full core, turbo settings which can hit 130w. The hyper212 is 140w, so expect temps beyond 80, closer to 90°C with such a small cooler. You can't over-cool a cpu, so higher capacity is always better, the individual efficiency dictating which cooler is better.

You should be looking in the 180w+ range, not the budget 140w range. Cryorig H5/R1, Noctua NH-D14/15/15S, beQuiet Darkrock Pro 3/4/TF (I like the TF personally) etc.
you'll need a bigger CPU cooler. A pair of 120's into the case at the front and one exhaust at the back should create enough flow.

On other topics.
Get 16GB now, mixing sets of ram often doesn't work, so you'd need to sell your 8 and buy 16, getting 16 now is better.
What PSU are you getting?

Jul 13, 2019
you'll need a bigger CPU cooler. A pair of 120's into the case at the front and one exhaust at the back should create enough flow.

On other topics.
Get 16GB now, mixing sets of ram often doesn't work, so you'd need to sell your 8 and buy 16, getting 16 now is better.
I was planning on using my EVGA 700 B1 (I know I said 750 in my post because I thought it was but I guess it was only 700)

Jul 13, 2019
I was planning on using my EVGA 700 B1 (I know I said 750 in my post because I thought it was but I guess it was only 700)
But I could easily buy a new one if I need to. Also, do you have any suggestions on fans that should get specifically? Any that have been working well for you?

Jul 13, 2019

On other topics.
Do you think the V8 GTS will work for the CPU fan?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 9700k is 95w TDP. That's the average of a series of apps at factory base speeds and settings. It's not full core, turbo settings which can hit 130w. The hyper212 is 140w, so expect temps beyond 80, closer to 90°C with such a small cooler. You can't over-cool a cpu, so higher capacity is always better, the individual efficiency dictating which cooler is better.

You should be looking in the 180w+ range, not the budget 140w range. Cryorig H5/R1, Noctua NH-D14/15/15S, beQuiet Darkrock Pro 3/4/TF (I like the TF personally) etc.

Solution