Need help deciding on cooling solution: Corsair vs NZXT

Warb_Null

Reputable
Sep 4, 2016
hi all. Just built my first PC in August and now am planning on my next build. I have four parts so far and trying to decide on a cooling solution.

Trying to decide between:
Corsair H110i | Corsair H100i V2 | Corsair H115i | NZXT Kraken x61

I am still learning about cooling solutions; my current cooler is an noctua nh-d15. Its a great cooler as most know but the size has always bothered me ever I first installed it. after helping a friend build his PC with a liquid cooler (H100i V2), I fell in love with them and want one for my build.

Now I'm aware that it seems to be the general consensus is that closed loop liquid coolers are not worth the extra one or two decreases in temps, and that they carry minor risk. Regardless, I have my mind set on one.
Can yall help me?

btw my CPU is i7-6850K

Solution
Not even close. The nzxt is far quieter than any of the Corsair's.
There's a large difference between ability and temp, and most don't understand that, they just look at the temp number. Large coolers have greater capacity to dissipate heat, the D15 happens to be the arguable king of air coolers, its got a huge capacity. What that means is as you raise the clock speeds and vcore, it'll soak up that heat better than a smaller cooler will. Up to a certain point at which the cooler starts loosing ability and temps go up faster. Liquid coolers have a much larger area for heat dissipation, so when air coolers start closing in on minimum efficiency, liquid are still going strong. Even a D15 can't touch the ability of the 280mm rads at...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not even close. The nzxt is far quieter than any of the Corsair's.
There's a large difference between ability and temp, and most don't understand that, they just look at the temp number. Large coolers have greater capacity to dissipate heat, the D15 happens to be the arguable king of air coolers, its got a huge capacity. What that means is as you raise the clock speeds and vcore, it'll soak up that heat better than a smaller cooler will. Up to a certain point at which the cooler starts loosing ability and temps go up faster. Liquid coolers have a much larger area for heat dissipation, so when air coolers start closing in on minimum efficiency, liquid are still going strong. Even a D15 can't touch the ability of the 280mm rads at extreme OC. Upto that max, the D15 is actually better than most liquid coolers, its just in the highest/hottest OC that it starts failing.
My X61 on a i7-3770k @ 4.9GHz 1.32v under Prime95 v26.6 small fft ½hr test 8 workers silent mode gets me 70°C. And that's all that matters. Under 70°C. (still relatively quiet). I could bump the X61 to performance mode, jumps the fans from 900rpm to 1500rpm and drops that 3°C. Honestly not worth the noise.

What you have to decide is size vrs price with consideration for extras. How far do you plan on pushing the OC, how many gimmicks like glowing pumps and leds etc are a must have, can your case even fit a 280mm rad in exhaust position or is it intake only. Would you be better off with a 140mm like the h90 or kraken x41/x52. What about the Swiftec lines with possibilities of including the gpu in a semi custom loop.
Air coolers are easy. Only 1 major consideration, will it fit in the case, liquid coolers take a little more planning, but I prefer the aesthetics, not a fan at all of the D15 and other large twin towers just on that spec alone, they are huge, even if for most OC's they are equitable to liquid coolers.

Solution