Question Need help deciding on high end gaming monitor

Feb 20, 2019
Hey guys, so my decade old gaming computer finally crapped out a few weeks ago and I decided to upgrade my whole setup and future proof it for another 5-10 years. I am not really a tech guy, I just like to game, but I have been researching quite a bit since then and I am having trouble choosing a monitor. I have checked older threads but I know it is largely dependent on your gaming rig and the type of games you will be playing so I decided to ask people smarter than I am on here. This is the pc I have (mostly) decided on:

CORSAIR ONE i160 Compact Gaming PC — Intel® Core™ i9-9900K, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti, 32GB DDR4-2666, 480GB NVMe M.2 SSD, 2TB HDD

I know I could buy the parts and build it for $500 less, but I would rather just have professionals do it. I mostly play single player games: Witcher 3, Skyrim, Homeworld Remastered, XCOM2, Civ 6, Divinity 2, etc. but I do also like playing Street Fighter 5, FFXIV, Eve Online, and Overwatch occasionally. I play casually, I am not a wannabe pro gamer in the slightest. In the future I would like to be able to play the upcoming Cyperpunk 2077 and Star Citizen (whenever it come out) and have them look as good as possible. The monitor that I have been considering is:

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" 4K UHD 144Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC HDR Aura Sync Gaming Monitor with Eye Care

But here is where I need help. I am not sure what to prioritize in a monitor for my needs, and I don't know what the most important features are to have included. I will be sitting about 2 feet away at my desk so will the 4k make that big of a difference over 1440p? I do think I would really like to have HDR because the color difference between my new OLED tv and my older one is astounding, I am not sure it will be the same with a monitor, correct me if I am wrong. Last time I bought a rig, as long as your pc could play a game at 60 fps you were good to go, but now I am seeing people playing at 200+ fps on some games, is that something that you can tell a difference with or is anything over 60 just overkill? My main concern is being able to play games on ultra settings on the best monitor possible without having to sacrifice how smoothly they play.

This monitor seems to have it all on paper 4K, HDR, Gsync, 144HZ, but is it too much for my computer to handle? From what I have read the sweet spot for pc gaming right now seems to be 1440p because 4k on modern games even on the most powerful PCs is too much, I know I could change the resolution if the game can't handle it, but I read doing so makes the game look grainy. So is it worth it to have a 4k monitor that will handle older games in 4k no problem and just tone down the resolution for newer titles, or does it cause them to lose too much graphical fidelity? Also from my understanding your computer will have an easier time running a 4k monitor with a 60Hz refresh rate than a 1440p monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate, so is that 4K 144Hz going to kill my FPS?

Thanks for taking the time to read everyone, I am open to suggestions for other monitors or anything else.

Last edited:
For close up and a 27" screen I would go with a 1440 monitor, and for your games, I would drop down the CPU and video card by a lot, you are double the cost you need to be. No need for 32gb of RAM, no need for an i9 or a top of the line video card. You picked out a top gaming system for pro players. You are better off getting mid level parts and replacing them again in 5-6 years vs high end parts that may run a year or two longer. I mean you can easily have some failure of parts that kills the video card, or motherboard, and you are not out $1,000 vs $500.

i5 or i7, 2070 or the new 1660 Ti would be just fine for 1440 gaming at high settings.

ASUS ROG PG279Q is good, Acer Predator XB271HU for 1440

Reactions: jankerson
Feb 20, 2019
For close up and a 27" screen I would go with a 1440 monitor, and for your games, I would drop down the CPU and video card by a lot, you are double the cost you need to be. No need for 32gb of RAM, no need for an i9 or a top of the line video card. You picked out a top gaming system for pro players. You are better off getting mid level parts and replacing them again in 5-6 years vs high end parts that may run a year or two longer. I mean you can easily have some failure of parts that kills the video card, or motherboard, and you are not out $1,000 vs $500.

i5 or i7, 2070 or the new 1660 Ti would be just fine for 1440 gaming at high settings.

Ok, thanks for the advice!

Agreed, I have an ASUS ROG PG279Q and it's fantastic. (y)

TRENDING THREADS