Need help deciding on the right CPU

xjohn

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hello,
I am looking for a cpu that is less than 150, right now I have a amd 3800 x2, and this computer lags on low while playing battlefield bad company 2. I just purchased a ati 5770, but it doesnt run it well. I want to buy a new build, but i want to know whether i should go x2 or x4, 955 or 550. I really want this computer to be lag free on medium setting. What would you recommend.

I would recommend you give us your complete system specs so we can better help you and make sure that replacing the CPU will improve your performance.

In general though, the Athlon II x3 440 provides high clock speeds and 3 cores. Should be more than enough. It's actually currently the best gaming cpu for the money. Under $100 too.

I would not recommend 2 cores in this day and age. Dual cores are going the way of the single core now. There was a time when a fast single core was better than a dual core in gaming... These days, a dual core doesn't always cut it.

xjohn

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I am going to upgrade the ram and the motherboard also, I currently have ddr, but i will be using reusing my 550w hiper, hard drive and ati 5770. So I am deciding whether I should get a Intel or AMD also.

I concur with the athlon x3 recommendation. Or maybe the X4 630 which can be had for $100. The 440 is faster clocked, the 630 the extra core. Your choice. Plus AMD is committed to keeping the upgrade path open. So your AM3 board will support a drop in replacement down the line.