Need help deciding on water cooling?

KeyLee19

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
I am looking at getting a new cooling system in my build. I was looking at doing water cooling or something to get the temperature significantly lower. My CPU idle speed on stock Fan/Heatsink is running at around 40 C. However, when I am converting DVD to AVI it reaches temperatures of 80+ and my computer shuts down as I have a program monitoring temperature that shuts the computer down immediately when it hits 80 so I don't know exactly how much higher it will go as I don't wanna go any higher than that. I guess the goal would be to keep it in the 60s while converting these DVD to AVI (I have like 600 more DVDs to convert). I was looking at getting this water cooling unit.

CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=35-181-010&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=7

Would this be substantial enough to keep me in the 60's if I were to do these conversions or overclock my system? Would I need to get anything separately with that water cooling unit other than some thermal paste maybe?? Do I need to change the fan out of that water cooling unit to maybe a push-pull fan? If a push pull fan is needed can someone please recommend me a decent one that is not extremely loud. My budget is prob. $115 (the water-cooling unit is $80).

Thanks!

My Computer Specs-

Motherboard- GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5
Tower- COOLER MASTER HAF 932
Processor- Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
Power Supply- CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Video Card- HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870
Ram- G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
SSD- Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III
Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s
Windows 7 64

The H50 is NOT REAL water cooling.

The H50 will do no better (or slightly better) than "big" air. I recommend you save money and get a good air cooler like a Core Contact Freezer (buy brackets separately for LGA1366) or Hyper 212+.

REAL water cooling will cost you $250+ for the CPU loop.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The H50 isn't the best watercooling, it's as good as a top air cooler. Good results tho. If your running stock cooling you'll be way more than happy with the H50. Run two fans on it, pull cool room air into the case instead of exhausting like most upper rear fans.

And yes real watercooling starts at about $250. Mine is about $900 or so.

http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/