Build Advice Need help deciding parts for super-budget build

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey guys, i want a little input on a system i'm building for a challenge.
The budget is $250, I've already found a CPU+Mobo+Cooler+Ram combo. It's a Xeon e5-2420 V2 with 16gb ram. That set me back $108
So for the rest of the budget, I need a case, PSU, storage, and GPU. any ideas for what to do for this? I'm usually decent at part finding, but am coming here for some ideas.
For case and PSU, should i get a n old used combo? I've seen a $50 Rosewill case + 450w PSU for $50, but the power supply isnt the greatest. I've also seen an Asus case + Antec BP500U power supply for $45 + $14 shipping, and bet i could get the seller down to maybe $30-35.
For storage im aiming for one of those cheap 250gb Adata or SP SSDs, but would a hard drive be a better choice to save some money?
and then for GPU, my opponent got some sort of GTX 700 series graphics card for $15, i have no idea how. My suspicion is it's a 780, so, im pretty much screwed, but is there a good option at a very small price point for this component?
Added note, I got an EVGA 500 W1 off of B stock today for $40 to use in some other super-budget build i do in the future, should I use that even though it'll add to the budget quite a bit?

if you need me to explain anything more clearly, I can, cause i know im not the best at explaining everything.
TIA :)

Little edit: I haven’t bought the Xeon motherboard ram cooler thing yet, so, if there are better options I’ll look into them.
Also, I found 16gb ram for $24 and have already bought that. Whether I use it for this build or another either works.

Last edited:

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey guys, i was just wondering about the quality of the old Antec BP500U. I'm building a super-budget used parts build and wondering if this power supply would be enough to power something like a GTX 960 or RX 560?
Also, how does this antec PSU compare to Rosewill's NE450 PSU?
Thanks so much!

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
Yes I am in a competition lol. $250 strict budget.
The EVGA W1 hasn’t failed me ever, so it definitely is an option. It’s just, it was $40, and that’s a very large chip out of a $250 budget.
Are you going to actually have to use its pc or is it just for the competition? If it's just for competition then cheaper is better, as in my albeit slightly limited experience, cheap power supplies take a couple of months to fail, plus I read the old Antec 500u is actually a pretty reliable power supply.