[SOLVED] Need help deciding what to buy first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunlink103

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
DISCLAIMER: THIS POST SHOULD NOT BE COMMENTED ON BY APPLE HATERS, AND I AM NOT INTERRESTED IN HEARING ABOUT WHAT OTHER THINGS TO BUY INSTEAD.

I'm trying to decide if i should buy a Apple 27" Cinema Display or 17" MacBook Pro first.

I would use the display with my Alienware Aurora mainly (already got software and mini DP ready) for editing photo's and videos, also a bit of gaming and general use, would also use it as my TV as i don't got one and 27 inches would be decent enough for me (currently using a 18" Acer CRT).
The MacBook Pro would be used as a school laptop (I already own a Surface RT so not really the most important thing), would also use it to watch movies, a bit of light gaming such as LoL, Minecraft and GW2 and some editing. I've also heard the keyboard and speakers should be pretty decent which I value a lot. The specs are 2nd gen i7, radeon hd 6750m, 4 or 8 gb ram and a 750gb 5400rpm hdd, it's a 2011 model so gonna have Thunderbolt, will upgrade to 16gb ram and a 500gb Samsung 840 evo SSD later on.

If i choose one over the other i would have to wait around 9 months probably to get the other item, so which one do you think i should choose to buy first?

Solution
If you don't know which to choose it sounds like you don't really need either. It seems crazy to ask other people to make such an expensive decision for you.

Anyway, arbitrary choice - buy the display. It's cheaper.

Edit: I take it you realize that the Thunderbolt display, which seems to be the only one that Apple sells now, needs a Thunderbolt input and won't work with mini DP?
If you don't know which to choose it sounds like you don't really need either. It seems crazy to ask other people to make such an expensive decision for you.

Anyway, arbitrary choice - buy the display. It's cheaper.

Edit: I take it you realize that the Thunderbolt display, which seems to be the only one that Apple sells now, needs a Thunderbolt input and won't work with mini DP?

Solution

sunlink103

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013

I will buy the old Cinema Display off eBay.

And I do need both, just can't decide at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.