Question Need help deciding wife CPU Upgrade

Dec 2, 2019
Hi. Christmas is around the corner, and with cyber monday I was hoping for some killer deals on a CPU but unfortunately that is not the case!

I was going to purchase a Ryzen 2700x for my wife, thinking they would drop below the $159 it was at last week however I see its up to $200 now.

Currently - my wife is using an old refurbed Asus M32CD I purchase for her a few years back (for school work) that she is using for gaming now (mainly rainbow 6 siege).
That rig has the following:
CPU: I5-6400 3.3ghz
GPU: Gigabyte 4gb 1050Ti (bought last christmas)
RAM: 16gb ddr3 (not sure speed but bought last christmas)
SSD: 860 evo 1tb
Mobo: Not entirely sure but google says the H110-M is what is in it.

We are upgrading due to the fact that when she plays Rainbow 6 there is a lot of frame drops, and task manager shows 90-100% usage of CPU. Though when we researched it says that the i5 & the 1050 should have no issues together... Only usually has Discord and r6s running to limit CPU.

So we are just going to upgrade the CPU, because why not, right?

With the 2700x being close to $200 now, Should I save some money and just get the 2600x? Will i regret not getting the 2700x? Also the 3600x is the same price as the 2700x, so if the 2600x is not the way to go then will I want to get a 3600x instead of the 2700x?

Please let me know. Trying to make the purchases today to ensure they arrive before christmas.

Hi. Christmas is around the corner, and with cyber monday I was hoping for some killer deals on a CPU but unfortunately that is not the case!

I was going to purchase a Ryzen 2700x for my wife, thinking they would drop below the $159 it was at last week however I see its up to $200 now.

Currently - my wife is using an old refurbed Asus M32CD I purchase for her a few years back (for school work) that she is using for gaming now (mainly rainbow 6 siege).
That rig has the following:
CPU: I5-6400 3.3ghz
GPU: Gigabyte 4gb 1050Ti (bought last christmas)
RAM: 16gb ddr3 (not sure speed but bought last christmas)
SSD: 860 evo 1tb
Mobo: Not entirely sure but google says the H110-M is what is in it.

We are upgrading due to the fact that when she plays Rainbow 6 there is a lot of frame drops, and task manager shows 90-100% usage of CPU. Though when we researched it says that the i5 & the 1050 should have no issues together... Only usually has Discord and r6s running to limit CPU.

So we are just going to upgrade the CPU, because why not, right?

With the 2700x being close to $200 now, Should I save some money and just get the 2600x? Will i regret not getting the 2700x? Also the 3600x is the same price as the 2700x, so if the 2600x is not the way to go then will I want to get a 3600x instead of the 2700x?

Please let me know. Trying to make the purchases today to ensure they arrive before christmas.
If gaming is the main use, the 3600X will be faster than any Ryzen 2000 series. However, if you want to save some money you can always go for the 2700 which is $140 at Amazon right now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B41717Z?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Reactions: RodroX

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
Ryzen 5 3600 will give you the best performance for gaming out of all of those, no need to spend $50 more for a 3600x unless u find it for a really good price. Also dont forget about the motherboard & ram too, those are extra costs that need to be factored into your final choice.

But the problem here is the 1050ti, getting a new processor will bring in slight improvement to game performance but you still arent going to really get a whole lot more fps without upgrading that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es_mLA7ku58

You can see in this video he's using a i5 4590 which is essentially equivalent to your i5 and his gpu is maxed out too.

My advice: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cw4YP3

Maybe more pricey than you initially wanted but it's going to net you a huge performance increase over your current build plus wifey will be happy

Reactions: RodroX
Hi for frame drops in R6S, I would first look into your wifes motherboard BIOS, and check if intel's VT (Intel Virtualization Technology) is enable, if it is turn it to DISABLE / OFF!!!

Now if you can buy I would go for Ryzen 5 2600 or for better single core/overall perofrmance the Ryzen 5 3600. Don't spend much money on Ryzen 7 unless is cheaper or the same price as the Ryzen 5!

Heres System 1:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $253.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 06:38 EST-0500

System 2:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($185.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $345.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 06:42 EST-0500

MSI's "MAX" motherboard should come with Ryzen 3xxx support out of the box.

Cheers

Dec 2, 2019
Ryzen 5 3600 will give you the best performance for gaming out of all of those, no need to spend $50 more for a 3600x unless u find it for a really good price. Also dont forget about the motherboard & ram too, those are extra costs that need to be factored into your final choice.

But the problem here is the 1050ti, getting a new processor will bring in slight improvement to game performance but you still arent going to really get a whole lot more fps without upgrading that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es_mLA7ku58

You can see in this video he's using a i5 4590 which is essentially equivalent to your i5 and his gpu is maxed out too.

My advice: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cw4YP3

Maybe more pricey than you initially wanted but it's going to net you a huge performance increase over your current build plus wifey will be happy

Sipan, We are hoping to upgrade her CPU inhopes that she will stop running into the issue of her CPU hitting this weird %90-100 usage issue. All she will usually be running is Rainbow 6 and Discord. Before it runs into the issue the game will be running fantastic, for a 1050ti. Though when the cpu starts crapping out her frames drop to 40fps and in a first person shooter we all know how bad that is. A simple restart fixes it which has me confused. Especially since this problem can arrise right as startup which makes me believe it isn't a thermal issue. Maybe its the mobo that the i5-6400 is plugged into? Bios? it's real troubling. SO our plan is to replace the CPU, and in turn get a new MOBO since the plan is to change over to Ryzen since the 2600x can get us some decent performance for not much investment. I Fortunately/Unfortunately bought her the wrong RAM last year (DDR4 3000mhz) so we can use that once we get her this new board so that is a cost we won't have to incur.

I guess my main thing is the motherboard. I notice MicroATX are cheaper but whats the disadvantage vs a full ATX? I was planning on getting her a MSI B450 Tomahawk or Tomahawk Max as those seem to have good reviews and decent price.

Dec 2, 2019
Hi for frame drops in R6S, I would first look into your wifes motherboard BIOS, and check if intel's VT (Intel Virtualization Technology) is enable, if it is turn it to DISABLE / OFF!!!

Now if you can buy I would go for Ryzen 5 2600 or for better single core/overall perofrmance the Ryzen 5 3600. Don't spend much money on Ryzen 7 unless is cheaper or the same price as the Ryzen 5!

Heres System 1:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $253.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 06:38 EST-0500

System 2:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ B&H)
Total: $345.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 06:42 EST-0500

MSI's "MAX" motherboard should come with Ryzen 3xxx support out of the box.

Cheers

Second person to suggest a MicroATX board. Are there any disadvantages to having a MicroATX? She has an SSD but its connected through SATA so I think 1 PCI-E 16 would suffice and i doubt she would ever need more than 32 gb of ram ever.

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
Sipan, We are hoping to upgrade her CPU inhopes that she will stop running into the issue of her CPU hitting this weird %90-100 usage issue. All she will usually be running is Rainbow 6 and Discord. Before it runs into the issue the game will be running fantastic, for a 1050ti. Though when the cpu starts crapping out her frames drop to 40fps and in a first person shooter we all know how bad that is. A simple restart fixes it which has me confused. Especially since this problem can arrise right as startup which makes me believe it isn't a thermal issue. Maybe its the mobo that the i5-6400 is plugged into? Bios? it's real troubling. SO our plan is to replace the CPU, and in turn get a new MOBO since the plan is to change over to Ryzen since the 2600x can get us some decent performance for not much investment. I Fortunately/Unfortunately bought her the wrong RAM last year (DDR4 3000mhz) so we can use that once we get her this new board so that is a cost we won't have to incur.

I guess my main thing is the motherboard. I notice MicroATX are cheaper but whats the disadvantage vs a full ATX? I was planning on getting her a MSI B450 Tomahawk or Tomahawk Max as those seem to have good reviews and decent price.

Understandable, if you have the spare money, go for a ryzen 5 3600, if not a ryzen 5 2600x will still net you great performance @ $119 instead of $185 for a 3600, performance difference between them is roughly 15%.

As for motherboards in this case there isnt much of a difference for you when it comes to using a microatx or atx, I dont know what case she has currently but if you're getting an atx just make sure it fits.

If you decide on the 3600 go for a b450 MAX by msi, if you go for the 2600 I would recommend the asrock b450m pro4 as thats the budget option & I've built 40 pc's with that board for my friends office, they sometimes use them for gaming after work and haven't experienced a problem from any of them.

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
Forgot to note that there isnt any disadvantage in this specific case for you to use a microatx, it generally offers less sata ports and other minor things that wouldn't effect you, also comes with an m.2 ssd slot if you decide to upgrade to one

Dec 2, 2019
Forgot to note that there isnt any disadvantage in this specific case for you to use a microatx, it generally offers less sata ports and other minor things that wouldn't effect you, also comes with an m.2 ssd slot if you decide to upgrade to one

Thanks for your replies Sipan. Yeah I would love to get her a 3600, but we both budgeted 400$ for each other on christmas lol. She really needs a 144hz monitor to complement her gaming pc as right now she is using a standard 60hz. Unfortunately the monitor i've been eying (the MSI G24C) is 159, then after the Mobo & CPU I'm at max. Which is a bummer, but her bday is in march and I'm planning on getting her a 1660 or whatever could be better in march for around $200. Then next christmas I can see what is kicking butt in the CPU world and buy another replacement since I won't need another board (hopefully).

Second person to suggest a MicroATX board. Are there any disadvantages to having a MicroATX? She has an SSD but its connected through SATA so I think 1 PCI-E 16 would suffice and i doubt she would ever need more than 32 gb of ram ever.

The reason of going MATX was in fact cause of price, it was the cheapest board with a decent VRM and Ryzen 3xxx support out of the box. Honestly I had a MATX for 6 years and was enough for all I did with my PC (working and gaming). WAIT! now that I notice I didn't suggest a MATX mobo!!!

Now if I were to buy and money wasnt such a huge problem I would pick something like this (if you have the RAM - DDR4 3000MHz is good too - just delete it from the list):

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ B&H)
Total: $395.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 07:04 EST-0500

NOTE: I would have choosen ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus but at almost $190 is too expensive (when it was ~169 it was a great choice).

Also if you and your wife likes its PC to be silence and you build around the Ryzen 5 3600, I would upgrade the stock cooler, is not horrible, but there are cheap and better options (Any of this 3 will be way better than the stock one) in order:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400 (one of the best, if not the best of all cheap coolers out there)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cr8j4D/deepcool-gammaxx-gte-565-cfm-cpu-cooler-gammaxx-gte (same as the Gammaxx 400 but with RGB)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CL8j4D/arctic-freezer-34-esports-cpu-cooler-acfre00056a (really good performance, noise and price)

Cheers

Dec 2, 2019
The reason of going MATX was in fact cause of price, it was the cheapest board with a decent VRM and Ryzen 3xxx support out of the box. Honestly I had a MATX for 6 years and was enough for all I did with my PC (working and gaming).

Now if I were to buy and money wasnt such a huge problem I would pick something like this (if you have the RAM - DDR4 3000MHz is good too - just delete it from the list):

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ B&H)
Total: $395.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-03 07:04 EST-0500

NOTE: I would have choosen ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus but at almost $190 is too expensive (when it was ~169 it was a great choice).

Also if you and your wife likes its PC to be silence and you build around the Ryzen 5 3600, I would upgrade the stock cooler, is not horrible, but there are cheap and better options (Any of this 3 will be way better than the stock one) in order:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400 (one of the best, if not the best of all cheap coolers out there)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cr8j4D/deepcool-gammaxx-gte-565-cfm-cpu-cooler-gammaxx-gte (same as the Gammaxx 400 but with RGB)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CL8j4D/arctic-freezer-34-esports-cpu-cooler-acfre00056a (really good performance, noise and price)

Cheers

Thank you for all your advice. I wan't to say her current board may in fact be a micro. I remember when we were attempting to install another fan there simply wasn't more spots for it to be plugged in.

The boards you suggested - what are the biggest advantages to buying the more expensive boards? Is it simply space or do they run the computer alot better?

They have newer chipsets, out of the box compatibility with Ryzen 3xxx, better VRM, plus they come with PCI-E v4.0 (not really a need for now). Also since they are the newest chipset available most of them (if not all) should get BIOS update for the future Ryzen 4xxx gens for sure.

Cheers!

Reactions: jpfender
Dec 7, 2019
Jpfender,
I have the exact same computer as your wife and even had the same Gpu in the 1050ti. Its nice to know someone else with the same computer is trying to upgrade the same things I want to.I also play rainbow six siege and I am experiencing fps drops to 40-60 when I should be getting higher(my gpu is a 1660ti btw). But my question to the people that helped jpfender out is, would the msi b450 tomahawk motherboard fit inside of the M32's small case. Also, would I have to add replace anything else along with the motherboard? Besides RAM though.

Dec 2, 2019
Jpfender,
I have the exact same computer as your wife and even had the same Gpu in the 1050ti. Its nice to know someone else with the same computer is trying to upgrade the same things I want to.I also play rainbow six siege and I am experiencing fps drops to 40-60 when I should be getting higher(my gpu is a 1660ti btw). But my question to the people that helped jpfender out is, would the msi b450 tomahawk motherboard fit inside of the M32's small case. Also, would I have to add replace anything else along with the motherboard? Besides RAM though.

If you still have the ddr3 I would swap that for ddr4 3200 or 3000 mhz (32 gb can be had for just over 100$). Last night my wife found a setting that had the cpu prioritization for siege set to low? she set it to high and seen an increase in performance but I haven't been able to find out if she has had sustained success. Hers is weird, like it would be running fine at first then all a sudden its capped. Or other times it just hits cap right out the gate and a restart fixes the issue.

Aldo Ramdani

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
First off, you need to upgrade your RAM, it should be DDR4 and 2666mhz or 2000mhz+ atleast. Second, in my opinion, Ryzen 5 2700x is good for your wife GTX 1050 Ti, price to performance.