need help deciding...

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's come time to get a new video card, and I've got it narrowed down to two choices: GeForce 2 MX or Radeon 32MB DDR. I have kinda decided on the GF2 MX because of the Tom's reviews, but if you guys recommend the GF2, which brand, Asus 7100 or Gainward CardExpert? I think Tom says Asus, but PC World says Gainward, need help, I probably wont get another for a long time.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sorry for this post despite all the others with similar subject, but i have heard so many different things, its hard to spend over $100 for something when you dont know if your getting the best thing you can for the money

TazMo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I put together two systems last month both 900Athlons one with the Asus V7100 the other with a Radeon 64MB. I know you were looking at a 32MB board, but the point being that the image quality of the Radeon board was noticeably better.
The V7100 is still very fast for games, but the Radeon is faster.(32MBvs32MB)

I think the Radeon 32MB is about $50 more than the V7100 for the retail, for OEMs Radeon about $20 more.

Remember Tom (I think)described the Radeon as a Porsche, the GTS2 as an American Muscle Car. So Geforce2mx is like a detuned Muscle Car, maybe a Mustang with a 289. So its either a Mustang or a Porsche...

G

I would choose the GF2 MX over the Radeon because I've yet to see ATI properly give regular driver releases and support. They either don't support some major operating systems or only give driver updates when there's a major problem.

G

I think the choice between radeon or gts boils down to what you use your pc for or what is more important to you. GTS is better for playing 3d games but radeon is much better if things like playing dvd is important to you.

G

It depends on what you intend to use your box for if it is just for games then the GTS is better..
If PC World in the US is anything like it is in the UK I would not listen to them about which card is better, and I have heard some very good reports about the asus cards although I have the Creative version(it was cheap).....

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....