[SOLVED] Need help, desktop won’t even POST

Oct 25, 2019
About a week ago my computer shut off suddenly and wouldn’t turn back on. The power button only does something the first press after the whole pc has been power cycled or I remove and reconnect the 24pin mobo cable. The only response I have is half a sec of fans and leds turning on before it goes back to a brick with no response. The motherboard does have leds that stay lit green when it has power but I get no beeps or anything through my speaker.

I researched this quite a bit and it seemed since I had power to the fans and things were turning on that it was an issue with the mobo or cpu. I ordered and replaced parts for a new ryzen 7 2700x a tomohawk b450 and 8x2 gb of corsair 3200mhz ram. After installing all of this I am having the exact same issue and I don’t have any spare psu to swap out and test. I think the only thing left to replace is the psu, but since I got it wrong once, does anyone have ideas of what else it might be?

Solution
Looks like a PSU issue based on your description and info provided. The new board, CPU, and RAM narrows things down for sure. Plus, the issue started before adjusting cables, ect. A quick on/off or functioning standby LEDs can occur with a faulty/failing PSU.
Looks like a PSU issue based on your description and info provided. The new board, CPU, and RAM narrows things down for sure. Plus, the issue started before adjusting cables, ect. A quick on/off or functioning standby LEDs can occur with a faulty/failing PSU.

Solution

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
There's 2 things that could help.
  1. You're mentioning that LED's on the mobo lights up. Does the motherboard give you any post codes at all? If it does, post the sequence it gives here along with the model.
  2. Give a complete rundown of the hardware and we can determine whether the system simply doesn't get enough juice.

I don't think your problem is narrowed down as much as it can just yet, but 1LiquidPC is correct that it starting after installing new hardware narrows it down.

Oct 25, 2019
I’m using an evga 1200w p2 platinum psu that is maybe 4 years old but hasn’t been used the entire time. It was used in a really high end setup and I moved it to this one to have plenty of room for sli 980 tis and such. It has worked in this system for maybe 8m- 1y

Neither of my motherboards have the display on them for post codes, nor do they make the speaker beeps you are supposed to hear during post errors. It is the same on both of them. my old setup was an i5 6600k oc from 3.5 -> 4.4ghz for about 5 years so that was my main assumtion it was cpu issue. Other than that not much is unusual, just a 500gb ssd and 2tb hdd. no crazy rgb or liquid cooling just 3 case fans and I ended up using the amd prism cooler that came with the ryzen as my hyper 212 evo doesnmt fit the ax4 screw lineup.

Last edited: