[SOLVED] Need help desperately! Please help!!!! (Ethernet network drive, SSD, motherboard troubles)

noahfield_15

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
I bought a new SSD the other day to replace my old, <Mod Edit> HDD, and I initially tried to clone my OS from HDD to SSD using Acronis, but it didn't like that, so instead I tried to clone the entire drive, planning on formating the D: drive afterwards. It also didn't like that, got some weird boot errors and so I decided to instead just format the SSD and do a clean install of windows 10. This worked, and booted up a fresh OS etc., except my internet no longer worked. The computer is connected via ethernet and says it has internet access, but nothing loads. I tried to install network adapter drivers, but it told me I didn't have an Intel (r) adapter...so I installed my chipset drivers (will put specs etc at the end incase that helps) and that actually let me install the network adapter driver...great! Except not great. Now when I open my browser (I only have edge as I can't install chrome) it will load a search result after about a minute, but it is not able to load any websites. I can't click on any of the results, they just load endlessly until it says "cannot reach this page". Troubleshooting returns no problems, Intel's network adapter program returns no problems, I can ping my network and it all works, and the fact that it can produce search results seems to indicate that the internet is at least working....I thought maybe it was the browser, so I tried to open steam and it was not able to log in, couldn't connect to steam network. Is this a problem with drivers? My motherboard? The SSD? The HDD (internet also doesn't work on the HDD, maybe suggests it's not a problem with either SSD or HDD, not sure though)? The CPU?

P.S. when I got those boot errors on SSD and HDD the thing that fixed it was formatting the EFI partition and then I followed some guide and did some bootrec stuff.

P.P.S. just tried to access device manager to check what type of ethernet driver I have installed and it tell me that an administrator has blocked you from running this app "mmc.exe"...?!??!?!

Please help, I really don't know what else I can try, thanks :((

Specs -
Motherboard - H170 pro gaming from Asus
CPU - i5-6500
SSD - Crucial 1TB P1 M.2
HDD - Some 1TB WD thing, not exactly sure.
Connected via ethernet

Last edited by a moderator:

noahfield_15

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
Have you checked Windows "Device Manager" for any yellow warning signs?
Have you tried going to "PC Settings > Network & Internet > Status" and running "Network troubleshooter" (Diagnose and fix network problems)?
Hmmm no yellow warning signs, I've also run the internet troubleshooting and it didn't give anything back, neither did the network adapter program.

The network troubleshooter in PC settings says "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting." Error code 0x80070005

Thanks for the response, let me know what you think, thanks.

Hmmm no yellow warning signs, I've also run the internet troubleshooting and it didn't give anything back, neither did the network adapter program.

The network troubleshooter in PC settings says "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting." Error code 0x80070005

Thanks for the response, let me know what you think, thanks.
Your problem could be with your DNS server settings.
Try going to "PC Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet", click on "Network" and check your "IP settings, IPv4 DNA servers". Are they set to Automatic or Manual?

noahfield_15

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
Your problem could be with your DNS server settings.
Try going to "PC Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet", click on "Network" and check your "IP settings, IPv4 DNA servers". Are they set to Automatic or Manual?
IP assignment says "Automatic (DHCP)".
Going into the ethernet properties in the network connections section, I have "Obtain DNS server address automatically" selected for both IPv4 and IPv6.
Do you think setting a manual DNS server, like google's public server would help??
Thanks.

noahfield_15

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
You could be getting the "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting." Error code 0x80070005" warning because you are not logged into Windows as "Administrator" so you don't have Admin privileges to make any changes.
My account is an administrator, should I enable the actual administrator account and see if I can run the troubleshooter from there?

TRENDING THREADS