Question Need help determining the reason for stutters and FPS drops after upgrading GPU

Jul 15, 2024
Specs:
i7-11700k
16GB 3000mhz
4070s (upgraded from GTX 1080)
750W 80+ Gold PSU

NOTE: I play on 1080p 60fps exclusively.

So far I've tried Cyberpunk and RDR2 at the highest settings, with GPU Util. ranging from 60-70%. In both games, stutters and frame drops happen in intensive areas, such us near Vik's clinic for Cyberpunk, and in Saint Denis for RDR2.

I also noticed that these frame drops happen when my ram usage in game reaches 10.3 GB or more. In task manager, it says that the available ram is 11.3GB.

Weird thing is, I also tried this game with mount and blade bannerlord, which I also ran on my GTX 1080. With the 1080, I did not have stutters at all, yet had FPS drop to the mid 40s and GPU util at almost 100%, which is understandable since there were 1000 soldiers fighting. With the 4070s, I faced the same issues, yet GPU util was at 60-70%, and also get stutters. For every game I've played, in order to get 60fps most times with this new gpu, I have to use DLSS, however I am not a big fan of DLSS, since it makes the game kind of blurry.

Things I've done so far hoping that they would solve this issue (they did not):
  • Delete old GPU drivers and install new ones.
  • Update MOBO bios.
  • Update windows.
  • For RDR2, I set res. scale to 1.5x of 1080p (because I wanted the game to look clearer as I found it blurry even without DLSS), which made GPU util reach 78% max.
SOLVED: Nvidia Reflex caused unstable frametimes in rdr2, which caused stutters. Matter of fact, anything nvidia for some reason causes stutters for me at least, tried elden ring with ray-tracing, even though my PC can handle it, it caused unstable frametimes and thus stutters.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

750W 80+ Gold PSU
750W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the unit as well as it's age?

4070s (upgraded from GTX 1080)
+
Delete old GPU drivers and install new ones.
Can you elaborate on how you did this step?

Update MOBO bios.
Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully flashed?

Jul 15, 2024
Thank you for the welcome!

To answer your questions:
  • My PSU is the EVGA G3 Supernova, which I bought in August 2017 I believe.
  • I did not actually delete and install the drivers myself, the shop that I bought the GPU from offered to install and setup everything for free.
  • No I did not clear the CMOS after flashing the bios.