[SOLVED] Need help determining what's at fault.

Looeelooee1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
I'm not entirely sure where to post this, but I've received good help on here before so I decided it can't be the worst place to start.

I have Clone Hero on my PC, and recently purchased a guitar originally made for the PS2, as well as a PS/PS2 to USB dongle. When I first used it, it worked fine. I plugged it into my PC, it was responsive and nothing seemed to be at fault. There's a little light on the dongle that turns on when it detects a controller is plugged in, and while this light was on, the guitar worked. Today I was going to play and the dongle didn't light up, and the guitar, of course, didn't work. I want to return whichever part isn't working but I'm unsure how to identify which it would be. When I plug the guitar in all the way it doesn't light up, however, if I plug the guitar in slightly more than halfway, the dongle lights up. When the dongle lights up with it only being partially plugged in, the guitar is not responsive at all. No buttons I press cause any response from the PC. I'm almost certain that it's a hardware and not a software issue since it worked fine yesterday, but I'm not sure how to identify which component is failing, and whether or not it's something I can fix, or need to return and replace.
Here is the dongle I am using by the way - https://www.amazon.com/Trenro-Dual-PlayStation-Controller-Adapter-2/dp/B000F6BGXY

Any help would be much appreciated!