Question Need help diagnosing a problem with a recently rebuild custom system.

Sir North

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
Hey all, thanks for taking a look at my post. Before I get into things, I'd like to give a quick rundown of my system:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1500X + Stock Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H (Revision 1, I believe)
GPU: Asus Strix R9 390 Cooled with a Kraken G12 + Corsair H55 Combo
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 CL15 (2 x 8gb)
PSU: EVGA 850 B5 80+ Bronze
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100
Storage: 1tb SSD - Forgot the Brand

So, to start off my little story, about two weeks ago I clutzed and spilled a cup of water on my desk. Some was able to drip through the air filter on my old case and damage/crash the computer.

Over the past 2 weeks, I've rebuilt the system plenty of times, and finally bought a good bit of new pieces after I believed I had diagnosed the issues.

The power supply, case, and motherboard are brand new components from the past 2 weeks. The power supply is slightly smaller - my previous (now broken) PSU was 1000 watts.

Originally, I had had these new pieces running the PC about a week ago, but under load (high setting 1080p gaming), the system would eventually black out and crash - but it wouldn't lose power, the fans would continue to spin.

This, to me, suggested a heating issue as I had gone down a form factor when I replaced the motherboard. I ordered an Kraken G12 and Corsair H55 AIO to replace the stock cooler on my graphics card. For those of you who may not know, the ASUS Strix R9 390 is a notoriously hot running and notoriously poorly cooled GPU. Before the kraken, it would run around 95 degrees Celsius under load. After the G12, when not under load, it was down by about 20 Celsius from the mid 50s to 36.

After I had it running again, I attempted to stress test the GPU to see if the system would crash, and it did. A 1080p FurMark test crashed the computer in 2 seconds. As far as I can tell, it wasn't an overheating issue, but the screen lost it's GPU signal again, and the PC was left "on" with the fans spinning.

Sir North

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
Thanks. The motherboard isn't the same model, I downgraded from a B350 gaming pro carbon because of a tight budget. I did install the correct drivers and update the bios, though.