Need help diagnosing BSOD!!!

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I'm experiencing random crashes on an almost daily basis. Every time my system crashes I get a BSOD followed by an automatic reboot.

I've run WhoCrashed to analyze the dump files and it showed the following...

**************************************************************************************
Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021011-12854-01.dmp
Date/time: 2/10/2011 9:04:52 PM GMT
Uptime: 7 days, 20:29:43
Machine:
Bug check name: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check code: 0x124
Bug check parm 1: 0x0
Bug check parm 2: 0xFFFFFA80063C3028
Bug check parm 3: 0xB2000000
Bug check parm 4: 0x30005
Probably caused by: hal.dll
Driver description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Driver product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Driver company: Microsoft Corporation
OS build: Built by: 7600.16617.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100618-1621
Architecture: x64 (64 bit)
CPU count: 12
Page size: 4096

Bug check description:
This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Comments:
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
**************************************************************************************

After obtaining this bit of info, I began to stress test my system using Prime95. I let it run for 2 hours and received 0 errors or crashes. My CPU temp ranged from 36c to 74c and averaged about 68c for the duration of the test. I believe this rules out a temperature issue with the CPU.

My next test will be a stress test on the GPU, but I doubt that will show anything negative, because these crashes always happen when my computer is idle.

I will then follow that test up with a memory test using Memtest86+ that I will let run through the night until midday tomorrow.

Now my questions to you...
1) Am I approaching this right? Have I overlooked something? Are there other areas I should check?
2) Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?
3) If the GPU and mem test prove negative, where do I go from there?
4) Is there any other info i could provide to you guys to help diagnose the problem?

Here are my system specs, and I am not overclocked...

Intel I7 980x @ 3.33GHz
Asus Rampage III Extreme
6 Gigs Muskin Redline
EVGA GTX 480
Sound Blaster X-Fi
Intel x25-m 80gig SSD
1.5TB SATA 3.0GB/s HD
Windows 7 64-Bit

Solution
G
Two things I would check..

1) Memory, have you access to any other memory sticks you could try?

2) What Bios Version are you using, check vendor for latest bios and the fixes it brings!
G

Two things I would check..

1) Memory, have you access to any other memory sticks you could try?

2) What Bios Version are you using, check vendor for latest bios and the fixes it brings!

Solution

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
My system runs on three 2gb memory sticks in a tri-channel configuration. I plan to test them all tonight with memtest86+. If I show any errors I'll start testing each module one by one.

I am three version behind on the bios. Updating now. Hopefully that will fix it!

Homeuser

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I had a similar problem...I haven't had it now for quite some time. Basicallly, I just ran a repair with my windows 7 disk... You'll find other post's that talk about overheating or bad hardware. for me, the heat isn't an issue. the hardware possibly, as it all started when i installed a new Video card...but again, havent had it in a while...I would also try using BSOD Viewer, found Here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
I also used who crashed and bsod viewer....

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Well it's now been 7 days since I updated my bios, and I haven't had a BSOD yet! The bios update seems to have fixed this issue! Who would of thought it would be something so simple.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
This problem is not solved and is apparently worse then ever!!! I am also closer then ever to solving it, but need a little advice and insight.

Here's a brief history of the problem...

I built this system one year ago and upon the build everything worked great. After about six months, I noticed my computer would crash every other week or so. These crashes always happened when my computer was idle. As time went on the crashes became more frequent. It is now at the point where it crashes every 20 minutes!

I have swapped out every piece of hardware, except for the power supply and CPU, and the problem still exist.

The odd thing is I can get the system to run stable by overclocking it!! What does that mean?? Does this point to a faulty power supply or faulty CPU?