[SOLVED] Need help diagnosing / fixing a faulty wireless card.

Oct 7, 2019
Edit: I no longer need help with this issue, seems to of sorted itself out for now. I'd delete the thread if I could figure out how.

I'm having a strange problem that I could use some help with.

I recently purchased a new laptop and am having some strange issues with the wireless connectivity. To make it brief, the connection seems fine when browsing, watching video or downloading, but after a few minuets connect to an online game that demands a consistent connection it simply drops. The computer doesn't disconnect from the router (as far as I've seen so far) and it comes back after about 30 seconds or so, but it's long enough to completely DC me from any server I'm on. It's always consistent too. In menus and when ping testing the servers the connection is solid, but I'll jump into a server in game and after about 2-3 minutes the connection will drop like clockwork.
  • It's a CyberPower Tracer III 17 so I think its a Tongfang motherboard but i don't know for sure, but it uses a Intel HM370 chipset.
  • The wireless adaptor is an Intel AC-5960, probably built into the motherboard.
  • I have connected the laptop to the router via cable and that works fine, so I'm sure it's the wireless. Sadly circumstances make using a wired connection troublesome, and not a permanent solution.
  • I have made sure the wireless card has it's up to date drivers. Found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/99446/Intel-Wireless-AC-9560
  • We have previously had multiple laptops, including my old unit, playing connected to this router at the same time with no issues. Only this laptop is having this problem.
  • I have power cycled the router to single out that as a source of the problem with no effect.
I'm at a loss of what to do from this point. I suspect the wireless card itself is defective but getting it fixed means sending it back and not seeing it for god knows how long. I'd just like to know if there is any way to know for sure before I make that call. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Edited to add more information.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply z0ove, but it looks like I may not need the help after all.
Factory resetting the router seems to have fixed the issue for now. Don't know why I didn't try it sooner to be honest but ow well.
Thanks again for taking the time to help.

z0ove

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
You can tray replacing the WNIC for other which you need to be sure it's alredy works perfectly or buy an USB Wi-Fi adapter and test your connection

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oct 7, 2019
Thanks for the reply z0ove, but it looks like I may not need the help after all.
Factory resetting the router seems to have fixed the issue for now. Don't know why I didn't try it sooner to be honest but ow well.
Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Reactions: z0ove
Solution