[SOLVED] Need help diagnosing new system POST

falkon114

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I just got new parts in for a build today. After putting everything together, my motherboard is showing POST error lights for BOOT and VGA. However, my GPU was working just fine earlier today before I rebuilt things.

The specifics:

The build I came from:
I5 4690k
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-CF motherboard
16GB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3 1600
RTX 2070 Super
Seasonic 520 Bronze

The new build:
Ryzen 7 3700X
ASRock X570 Extreme4 motherboard
16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
RTX 2070 Super
Seasonic 520 Bronze

I know the PSU is bronze and should be upgraded etc etc, but it shouldn't prevent me from booting up with the current components AFAIK. The system POSTs fine with just CPU, CPU + 1 stick RAM, CPU + 2 sticks RAM, and everything without the 2070. When I install my 2070, the Boot and VGA LEDs on the board stay lit. I put in my old R9 390 and everything is up and running... Currently using it to type this post. I always take care to be extremely gentle with components when they're out, and obviously the PCI slot is working (the board only has one, so I can't try another one if I wanted, and it's working on this card.)

I've taken out the CMOS battery to reset that, I've reseated the GPU a few times, reinstalled everything except the CPU and cooler...

Soo... Is there anything else I need to check? Did my card somehow mysteriously die between this morning and this build, despite taking the precautions I usually do (after all, my previous card that I upgraded from and stored away for the last few weeks is still working)?

Solution
Both the S12II and M12II have dual 8pin connectors.... Why are you using miles adapters?
Because I needed to. Those may have come with the PSU at one point, but I didn't have them last time I was doing a build and needed an adapter.

Either way, it's been working. I also moved my GPU to another PCIe slot and things are working now, so I guess that's solved

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Can you try the 2070S in the old board? Would mean taking the PSU back out of the new config, of course.

While 520W, especially a few years old is probably a bit below recommendations, it's still a decent (albeit dated) PSU and shouldn't be causing the system to fail to post.

How are you connecting to the monitor? You're not using adapters, are you?

falkon114

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Can you try the 2070S in the old board? Would mean taking the PSU back out of the new config, of course.

While 520W, especially a few years old is probably a bit below recommendations, it's still a decent (albeit dated) PSU and shouldn't be causing the system to fail to post.

How are you connecting to the monitor? You're not using adapters, are you?
To retry my 2070 in my old build, it would mean tearing everything apart and building from the ground up. I'm reusing the case and PSU. The previous mobo and 2070 are in their replacement boxes right now while everything else is in the tower.

No adapters, currently using the HDMI port on my R9 390 connected to my monitor. However, on the topic of connectors, I am using molex connectors for the second GPU power connection, but that's been working as is for years, and is currently working on the new build + old GPU which has the same two plug power requirement as the 2070.

falkon114

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Both the S12II and M12II have dual 8pin connectors.... Why are you using miles adapters?
Because I needed to. Those may have come with the PSU at one point, but I didn't have them last time I was doing a build and needed an adapter.

Either way, it's been working. I also moved my GPU to another PCIe slot and things are working now, so I guess that's solved

Solution