Need help diagnosing possible MB startup error?

bgstewar

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
My new build was working fine, but now I'm having issues. About one time out of every six boots, I get one long and one short beep on startup, and then Vista freezes while booting. I reset and it usually boots fine.

I contacted Gigabyte to determine the meaning of the one long and one short beep, and they said it could be either a MB or RAM problem. I ran Memtest86+ for two passes and had no errors.

Incidentally, I was having video problems (choppy performance). Turns out I forgot to plug it into my power supply. I looked online and it said that performance could suffer without the added power, but that was it.

My question is - if this problem I'm having only happens maybe one out of every six boots, could it still point to a MB problem?

My new build was working fine, but now I'm having issues. About one time out of every six boots, I get one long and one short beep on startup, and then Vista freezes while booting. I reset and it usually boots fine.

I contacted Gigabyte to determine the meaning of the one long and one short beep, and they said it could be either a MB or RAM problem. I ran Memtest86+ for two passes and had no errors.

Incidentally, I was having video problems (choppy performance). Turns out I forgot to plug it into my power supply. I looked online and it said that performance could suffer without the added power, but that was it.

My question is - if this problem I'm having only happens maybe one out of every six boots, could it still point to a MB problem?

G. Skill 2X1 GB PC6400

Your MB may be defaulting the RAM voltage to 1.8v. Your RAM is rated at 2.0-2.1v. Try setting the voltage to the RAM's specifications in BIOS.