Need Help: ECS AMD 780g and power supply compatibility

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm putting together a box with the ECS A780GM-A motherboard. This build is for a friend of mine who's old socket 939 board died.

The question: We're cannibalizing as much from the old box as possible, and I am hoping to reuse the power supply. It has a Hipro 300w atx PSU rated at 16A on the 12v (according to the sticker on the PSU), which has a 20-pin atx power connector (as well as the separate additional 4-pin connector, which goes elsewhere on the motherboard). The ECS motherboard has a 24-pin connector though, will plugging the 20-pin connector from the PSU work? What am I risking here? If we're not risking damaging the board and just risking not powering up then I plan on trying with this PSU as we want to get this box up and running without any more expenditure. (If it is absolutely necessary then my friend is willing to buy a new PSU, but we're trying to avoid this if possible.

System specs:
ECS A780GM-a motherboard
AMD64 X2 4000+ AM2 65w processor
2GB Transcend DDR2 800 dual channel kit
Seagate 7200.8 200GB HDD
Unknown brand DVD-RW drive
Hipro 300w ATX PSU (16A on the 12v)

Looking for quick input, as I want to have this box up and running this afternoon. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: To be sure, I did research before making this post. I have found some posts on another board saying it will work, but the info is from 2004. I just want to make sure this is possible on this brand new motherboard.

I agree with ohiou. When you get a new power supply, don't get a no name brand just because it's rated at 500-600 watts. In pricewatch, you'll find a dozen cheapo brands rated the same. Here's my pick of name brand ps in order from cheapest to most expensive: fortron fsp (or sparkle), antec, enermax, corsair, seasonic, and pc power and cooling. Any of these brands will work fine. You can also tell the quality somewhat by the weight of the unit. 3-5 lbs is good.