Question NEED HELP (electric static coming from PSU)

Jun 23, 2022
Ever since about a week ago I've been starting to hear a noise coming from the back of my pc. I checked and it seems like it's coming from the PSU. Mostly heard at the back of the pc. I checked the bottom where the fan is and it's less loud there but still easily heard. It doesn't matter if the fan of the psu is spinning or not, doesn't matter if I'm doing anything on my pc or not. It's always there. It's not coming from my GPU so I don't think it's coil whine but I have very little knowledge about anything pc related.

The PSU is a Corsair 1000HX.
The pc in it's entirety is about 8 months old and has been treated with much care.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1jF49Aw1oU8?feature=share
It can be clearly heard here, high volume needed however. The fan you hear isn't the PSU fan.

Really hope someone can tell me what's causing this and if I can possibly fix it myself.

Jun 23, 2022
It's plugged in properly. I personally don't think it's another part cause it really seems to be coming from the backside of my pc where my PSU is placed. As long as it's not something that's going to fry everything or something else then I can ignore it and see if it fixes itself.

Problems tend not to fix themselves, only get worse.

What is the nature of the sound?
Is it mechanical in nature, like a fan touching a loose cable?
Or, is it sort of an electrical hum.
Put a paper tube to your ear to try to pinpoint the source.
Are your psu cable connections secure at both ends?

Open up a support incident with Corsair once you can describe the issue more carefully.

Jun 23, 2022
Problems tend not to fix themselves, only get worse.

What is the nature of the sound?
Is it mechanical in nature, like a fan touching a loose cable?
Or, is it sort of an electrical hum.
Put a paper tube to your ear to try to pinpoint the source.
Are your psu cable connections secure at both ends?

Open up a support incident with Corsair once you can describe the issue more carefully.

The noise can be heard in the youtube link I provided. It's an electrical static noise-ish. All cables seem to be secure and fully plugged in.
As for the source, it's hard to precisely tell but it seems to be most noticeable at the back where the psu is plugged in.
Noise happends when fan is off so it can't be a wire hitting the fan.

It's plugged in properly. I personally don't think it's another part cause it really seems to be coming from the backside of my pc where my PSU is placed. As long as it's not something that's going to fry everything or something else then I can ignore it and see if it fixes itself.
Never ignore these issues because could cost a lot cash if it frys other parts when it blows up

Jun 23, 2022
Sounds very normal to me, worst case it’s a faulty fan, but it doesn’t sound like static noise to me.
It's definitely a weird occurance. However if you play the sound on high volume it's clearly heard, other than the fan noise ofc. I myself am hoping it's just coil while but tbh I didn't even know PSU's can have coil whine. Had coil whine in my GPU before and it sounded nothing like this, which is why I'm concerned. The fan comment is interesting because I haven't actually seen the fan spinning. It spins for a second or two when I turn the pc on but stops afterwards. Now I haven't really kept an eye on the fan at all since I've googled if this is problematic but it seems like a normal thing that the PSU fan doesn't spin unless needed.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Well I had my phone turned to max volume and listened multiple times to it, for me it sounded like a possibly broken fan, grinding a bit, but not like static noise. That said, static noise can come from anything electric as far as I know, especially parts with high current flow.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Which strongly suggests that it was not the PSU. A medical stethoscope is very useful for pinpointing the source of a noise. A cheap one will do. Remove the head and point the open end of the tube at suspected locations.

With the head in place, the steth can be useful for other things. E.g., if you gently place the head on a spinning HDD, even a quiet drive will roar.

Jun 23, 2022
Which strongly suggests that it was not the PSU. A medical stethoscope is very useful for pinpointing the source of a noise. A cheap one will do. Remove the head and point the open end of the tube at suspected locations.

With the head in place, the steth can be useful for other things. E.g., if you gently place the head on a spinning HDD, even a quiet drive will roar.

I got in contact with the company I bought the entire pc from and they said it's 100% coil whine. I think I'm going to go with that and if it happends to get worse then I'll definitely send it out for warranty.