Need Help Explaining DHCP and 802.11a...etc

raptormoonx

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
Hello!

My parents are looking into switching from AT&T Uverse to Time Warner Spectrum. I got most of my questions answered through them, but there are some that couldn't be answered. They are retired and a lot of the tech talk goes over their heads. I need help explaining the following in the simplest way possible:

DHCP
the differences between 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac WLAN standards.
I am also looking for recommendations for a router since if we switch, we would only get a modem through them. I would love to be able to get one that picks up all of the signals, but is it worth it?

It's been over 15 years since I last took a networking course and I no longer have any of the stuff from that class. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
DHCP has to do with the IP protocol. 802.11 blah-blah has to do with WIFI. Both are related but are really 2 different issues.

I don't know why you have to be concerned with DHCP, this is usually automatic. Each home network has a single DHCP service, the DHCP service assigns addresses (like addresses in a house so the mailman knows where to drop you the stuff). These days the ISP gives you a box called a GATEWAY, Gateway=modem+WIFI router+4 port ethernet switch in one box and the DHCP server sits here. The installer will enable this for you. Ask him to do so.

802.11 blah-blah. These days everybody uses 802.11AC, and it's automatically backward compatible to older 802.11a/b/g/n protocols, so again is automatic.

You maybe...

gillhooley

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
DHCP (I stole this from Spiceworks) =

DHCP Server
"Hello sir, welcome to the theater. Tickets Please?"

Mr. Desktop

"Here you go"

DHCP Server

"Thank you. You may take a seat in row H, seat 13"

Mr. Desktop

"Got it, on my way"

DHCP Server

"Would you like me to register you seat in case any friends want to find you?"

Mr. Desktop

"Sure, thanks!"

DHCP Server talks to DNS server

"Mr. Desktop is at H13"

Mrs. Desktop talks to DNS server

"Hello, is Mr. Desktop here?"

DNS Server

"Yes, he is at seat H13"

DHCP has to do with the IP protocol. 802.11 blah-blah has to do with WIFI. Both are related but are really 2 different issues.

I don't know why you have to be concerned with DHCP, this is usually automatic. Each home network has a single DHCP service, the DHCP service assigns addresses (like addresses in a house so the mailman knows where to drop you the stuff). These days the ISP gives you a box called a GATEWAY, Gateway=modem+WIFI router+4 port ethernet switch in one box and the DHCP server sits here. The installer will enable this for you. Ask him to do so.

802.11 blah-blah. These days everybody uses 802.11AC, and it's automatically backward compatible to older 802.11a/b/g/n protocols, so again is automatic.

You maybe over-thinking this.

Solution