Need Help figuring out best Wifi setup for this odd floorplan

Jun 7, 2018
I live in an apt that is oddly shaped. I need to get consistent wifi coverage throughout the 1500sf apartment. I have Verizon FIOS Gigabit Connection and it comes into a utility closet where I feed ethernet wires from the FIOS cable modem and wifi router to 2 other routers in the apartment (see wifi router #2 and 3). Each Wifi router broadcasts a unique SSID. When I walk from room to room, I often have to connect/disconnect between Wifi routers to get the best signal. I wish to have a setup so I don't have to do this and devices can pickup the best wifi signals automatically. I'd also prefer not having so many routers if possible.

I've tried other setups where I'm using the same SSID and bridging from one router to another. But the setup was not reliable. I'm wondering if I should look into Wifi Mesh or other extenders. But I don't want to lose speed. The apartment has brick on the north side (see red lines) and dry walls for most other interior walls.

All the rooms has ethernet that run from the utility closet where the FIOS equipment is.

I just can't seem to figure out the best way to get fast, reliable internet Wifi coverage through the entire apartment.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

(Theoretically, Fios Gigabit Connection provides downloads as fast as 940 Mbps and uploads as fast as 880 Mbps.)

wifi.jpg

Solution
if router 2/3 are hard wired see if there firmware will switch from a router to an ap point. if they do then set them both as ap with the same ssd. in our condos when fios was used the teck used the old comcast cable from the cable room to backfeed all the tv and modems for each unit. same for the phone lines.
Jun 7, 2018

What does back-haul mean? Sorry, i'm a network idiot.

So to clarify, I'll need 3 ORBIs? Do you know what the top speed is for these?

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Jun 7, 2018

Can I get away with the ORBI RBK5 and only 1 satellite? The apt is only 1500sf and I would love to save some money by not having to buy an extra satellite. If I can get away with just the main Base and 1 Satellite, where should i put them based on my floorplan?

Thanks!

if router 2/3 are hard wired see if there firmware will switch from a router to an ap point. if they do then set them both as ap with the same ssd. in our condos when fios was used the teck used the old comcast cable from the cable room to backfeed all the tv and modems for each unit. same for the phone lines.

Solution