[SOLVED] Need help figuring out what this capacitor does

Jul 14, 2020
Hi, I have knocked off my cap off my MSI Platinum SLI x58 board and made a thread before about it so this thread is for finding out what that cap does.

Info I have: It's a solid electrolytic cap, it's a 16v470uF variant, does not have legs on the cap but the mobo itself instead, and it appears to be a bit taller than the other 3 caps on my board and the pics I found on the internet for some reason.

View: https://imgur.com/a/1syiUSF

Thank you in advance

Solution
It's a load balancer, to ensure the voltage to the VRM is constant. Missing this one capacitor will ruin the constant voltage to one or more of the phases and will cause instability.
Jul 14, 2020
It's a load balancer, to ensure the voltage to the VRM is constant. Missing this one capacitor will ruin the constant voltage to one or more of the phases and will cause instability.

Does this mean I can't OC anymore or would this also affect me at stock speeds? also ty for the answer and recommendation

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
There's a risk of voltage spikes or drops through the VRM during loads and thus to your CPU which could cause permanent damage to said CPU.

My advice would be to fix it first, depending on the skill of the craftsman, it shouldn't take long.