Question need help figuring out why I have ms spikes in games

DANO_2

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
For like 2 years my pc was lag free and about 2 months ago I started having issues. The issues would consist of small ms spikes during video games but they have gotten increasingly worse to the point that playing competitively is impossible. I have tried numerous things to fix this, but so far none have helped.

I tried replacing my usb wireless adapter, I tried changing all kinds of settings and values in the computer settings, I have tried disabling all programs running in the background to narrow problems down, I have tried using glasswire, I have tried switching to ethernet, I have tried using different internet networks as well, and I have cleaned my pc and components thoroughly (hasnt been abused or anything either)

Another computer on the same network played the same games without any issues.

Is there some piece of hardware on my computer that could be malfunctioning? it seems like it to me, since i was lagging on ethernet for goodness sakes. Open to any ideas i am frustrated

specs are
CPU: ryzen 7 2700x
Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro4
Ram: corsair vengeance lpx 16gb ddr4
SSD/HDD: 1tb nvme
GPU: Saphire rx 570
Chassis:corsair carbide 175 r

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Could be your drivers, could be your OS, could even be minor issues with your power(which could either be PSU or the board or the drivers or the OS causing it). You might want to start with checking that you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Then check to see that you're on the latest OS version. We're currently on version 21H1 for Windows 10. You then need to turn your attention to the GPU drivers, using DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling your GPU driver with the latest sourced from GPU maker's support site.

Speaking of parts, given that this is a troubleshooting thread, you forgot to mention the specs to your build. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

DANO_2

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
Could be your drivers, could be your OS, could even be minor issues with your power(which could either be PSU or the board or the drivers or the OS causing it). You might want to start with checking that you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Then check to see that you're on the latest OS version. We're currently on version 21H1 for Windows 10. You then need to turn your attention to the GPU drivers, using DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling your GPU driver with the latest sourced from GPU maker's support site.

Speaking of parts, given that this is a troubleshooting thread, you forgot to mention the specs to your build. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:
ok i will try these things
specs are

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:
ok i will go through the things you listed thanks

DANO_2

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
ok i will try these things
specs are

ok i will go through the things you listed thanks
ok so I installed the 21H1 for windows 10 as well as some other updates, but i did not use ddu to reinstall the gpu drivers as I recently reinstalled them because i did a reinstall of windows 10 to try and fix the issue (didnt fix anything either). the updates didnt seem to help at all though