Need help figuring out why my wired Desktop does not see wireless devices despite being connected to the same router.

netnoob_saibot

Commendable
May 9, 2016
My current internet setup at home is as follows:

I have a Windows 7 32-bit desktop connected to one of the LAN ports of my D-Link DSL 2730U router via an ethernet cable. The desktop has a printer connected to it and exists on a network named "Network 2" which is different from the wifi network named "HomeDPK" hosted by the aforementioned router. I also have a windows 10 64-bit dell laptop, a windows 7 64-bit hp laptop and an android smartphone, all of which can both connect to internet and see each other though the "HomeDPK" wifi network.

While my ultimate goal is to be able to share files/folders and the printer connected to my desktop with all my wireless devices (including my smartphone), right now I am stuck trying to bring both the desktop and my wireless devices on the same network.

In addition to checking workgroup names on all devices and the file sharing permissions, I have already tried powercycling the router and flushing the dns on the desktop, but they haven;t helped. Can someone please help me figure out what i should be doing and how i should go about trying to get my devices to communicate with one another.

Thanks in Advance.

Solution

If you are trying shares on the network, all devices need to be in the same WORKGROUP.
On one PC go to control panel, System, advanced system settings, click the Computer Name tab, Click the change button.
Name the PC something short you know it by as in Office, Server, Main, Guestroom, basement, or by brand etc.
Click the workgroup button and name it as well as in MYHOMENET, GEEZNET or something you want, but keep short and no spaces or special characters. Then click apply and ok and maybe ok again, it will tell you to reboot... do that. Then on the rest of...

netnoob_saibot

Commendable
May 9, 2016

No the wired network has been configured as "Home Network" on the Windows 7 Desktop

keithsplace

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

If you are trying shares on the network, all devices need to be in the same WORKGROUP.
On one PC go to control panel, System, advanced system settings, click the Computer Name tab, Click the change button.
Name the PC something short you know it by as in Office, Server, Main, Guestroom, basement, or by brand etc.
Click the workgroup button and name it as well as in MYHOMENET, GEEZNET or something you want, but keep short and no spaces or special characters. Then click apply and ok and maybe ok again, it will tell you to reboot... do that. Then on the rest of the machines you wish to share with you will have to do the same, making the workgroup name the EXACT same, PC name should be different on each

Solution