Question Need help figuring this out

MatthewF

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Hello everyone,

I recently just ordered some parts to upgrade my computer and I’m having a hard time figuring out why im not getting any display. I put the computer together just fine and it powers on. My motherboard is MSI’s z370 pro gaming carbon edition, and I also got the i7 9700k coffee lake 8 core cpu. I assumed since it said it supports the 300 series motherboards that it would work. I boot on the pc and get no display and the usb ports dont pick anything up. I have a fully working gtx 1060 plugged in. I know the cpu is a new 9th gen but Im wondering if a bios update would solve it? If someone could correct me if im wrong I could plug in an 8th gen cpu which the z370 fully supports, do a bios update and that would correct it? thanks for your time.

Yes, your motherboard likely will need a BIOS update. You can buy a cheap 8th gen CPU so you can at least get to the BIOS so you can upgrade the firmware.

IMO, instead of buying an 8th gen processor, it would be better to buy a Z390 motherboard for maximum functionality out of the box.

MatthewF

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Yes, your motherboard likely will need a BIOS update. You can buy a cheap 8th gen CPU so you can at least get to the BIOS so you can upgrade the firmware.

IMO, instead of buying an 8th gen processor, it would be better to buy a Z390 motherboard for maximum functionality out of the box.
I was thinking that but since Ive had the z370 for a while i’ll do the bios update which im hoping will correct that and allow me to use the 9700k thank you for your response, cheers.