Question Need help finding 4 Pin laptop fan header

Dec 8, 2021
Hello!

Recently I was repasting my laptops and upon reassembly I accidentally bent the cpu's fan header pins (I know, stupid and careless mistake), in a attempt to bend them back into place I accidentally broke several of them off.
Im having a hard time finding anything online that would be a replacement. I have a local shop who said they would be happy to re-solder the fan head on but they said they would need help finding the part. The laptop is a MAINGEAR Vector Pro 17 inch with a 3080 and i7-11800h, its the same chasis as the Eluktronicss Max-17. I called both Maingear and Eluktronic and both said they would not be able to send me a new part since its a part of the motherboard. The fan header is a 4 pin header.

I'm looking at buying a cheap motherboard online and just taking the header off of that one and using it in my laptop and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on motherboards I should look at? Or better yet, a website that would sell these sorts of fan headers? The Maingear associate I talked to said that it is a common design and comes standard in a lot of laptops. I went ahead and attached tow pictures, one is of the broken fan header and the other is of the one from the GPU side, please note that these did have a little plastic piece on top that just went over the top that I took off, it wasn't a separate piece but part of the whole unit, and just bridged the two sides together.

I would really appreciate the help with this, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer. Thank you!

Imgur link to 4 Pin header in question
Other fan header for the GPU that works

Ralston18

Titan
My suggestion would be to just replace the laptop's motherboard directly. Much simpler and straight forward.

Cannibalizing even a cheap motherboard may not go well (especially if "cheap") and then trying to remove and replace the laptop's broken header adds in more complexity even for a skilled solderer.

Then you are out of the cost of a cheap motherboard and perhaps an even more damaged laptop motherboard.

And absolutely no warranties....

Let "the shop" do the work so you will have both new motherboard and installation/repair warranties.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Dec 8, 2021
My suggestion would be to just replace the laptop's motherboard directly. Much simpler and straight forward.

Cannibalizing even a cheap motherboard may not go well (especially if "cheap") and then trying to remove and replace the laptop's broken header adds in more complexity even for a skilled solderer.

Then you are out of the cost of a cheap motherboard and perhaps an even more damaged laptop motherboard.

And absolutely no warranties....

Let "the shop" do the work so you will have both new motherboard and installation/repair warranties.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Yes I can understand the reasoning behind this, unfortunately it seems it would cost about the same as getting a whole new laptop according to Microcenter who I bought it through. I was hoping I would be able to salvage this machine instead of buying another one for $2k.

Ralston18

Titan
Understood - fair enough. Tough situation overall.

Really becomes a matter of how well the "shop" can do with the replacement process and what guarantees/warranties they offer.

Plus there may be other ideas and suggestions offered here. I have no problems with that.