ATI Radeon™ 9200
128MB Video Memory (128-bit DDR)
VGA-out / DVI-Out (DVI output:1280x1024x60Hz
max.) / TV-Out
AGP 8X 3D Graphics Hardware Acceleration
EXPANSION SLOTS
Three PCI (one occupied)
8x AGP Slot (occupied)

I want a better Graphics card but have no idea what to look for. I want something that is good enough that I may not have to upgrade in a year, and that can run games. Thanks!

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but a graphics card upgrade would be a complete waste on a computer that age. The best thing you can do is buy a new pc, if you can't afford it now then save your money until you can. A modern $400-$500 pc would wipe your current pc from the face of the earth. Don't bother upgrading the ram any farther either, once you get past 1Gb on a pc that old there isn't much of a benefit.

Kristaria

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

I respect your opinion but I am not buying my 11 year old a 500 dollar computer to play sims 3 on. This one was more than that new and although its old in computer time I am sure, it still runs perfectly great for a kid. A graphics card will fix her computer enough to play with for a long time, till she moves up in games. I don't want the thing to get her to Mars. I just don't know what card will fit in it.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

You didn't say it was for an 11 year old that would be playing The Sims 3, you just said a card that would let you play games and you wouldn't have to upgrade in a year. Which made it sound like your primary pc. And around here when most of us hear games we think along the lines of Far Cry 2, Crysis, COD MW2, etc.

So forgive my assumption.

Kristaria

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Well the only reason sims 3 doesnt work is a pixel shader 2. Otherwise this computer runs it. It is 3 years old which I guess to some would be ancient. I also had a $400 brand new dell that couldn't run circles around a cardboard box so I guess all of that depends. LOL And I don't take offence over anything online. This is the first computer I have had that I couldn't figure it out. And it is just a flippen graphics card. I found out a motherboard replacement, but not a graphics card. So if I sound testy rest assured it is out of frustration at ATI NOT anyone on here.
I just really had no clue Sony made this crap so hard.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Er why are you frustrated with ATI??

Kristaria

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

I just like Nvidia better really. :p And its easier to find a card with nvidia. At least it was for me... And finding drivers for ATI is harder as well.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Well to each their own. I've owned quite a few nvidia cards but I don't plan on getting any more anytime soon, IMO Nvidia is the most underhanded, unethical, dilusional company on the planet other than Apple. Until they stop the renaming game and start making some real progress my opinion will not change. ATI has always been wonderful for me. I've been using their cards since the Rage 128 Pro and I've never had any problems with drivers or locating cards. Nvidia and ATI cards are sold in the same place it's called www.newegg.com

TRENDING THREADS