[SOLVED] Need help finding a motherboard upgrade for my CPU

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
I have upgraded my system 3 yrs back to i9 10900 S1200. The motherboard was EVGA X99 Classified. But it was killed a year later when the power supply went faulty. I replaced the memory, the motherboard and the PSU of course.
MBD is now ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E gaming MDB. But now I have learnt that it is incompatible with Win 11 as this Z490 does not have TMP. I have tried to look for a motherboard that supports my CPU and have TMP but I was totally frustrated by the suppliers' website. I am from the UK. I wonder if any of you that are more experienced than I am with MDB, can suggest a few models that will support my CPU + TMP 2.0 + SLi (x 2)? Many many thanks in advance.

Solution
A few things I would like to address.
I'm almost 100% certain that your computer with that motherboard supports TPM 2.0 (It's TPM, not TMP.)
Also, the i9 109000 cannot run in an X99 motherboard so I don't really understand the chronological order of upgrading.
Anyways, windows 11 shouldn't be something you swap a perfectly good motherboard for if it is infact not compatible (I'm pretty sure it is though.. you should look deeper in your bios settings.)
Windows 11 is very similar to 10 in alot of aspects, especially those the average person would encounter in day to day life.
Windows 10 is also getting updates till 2025, so you have at least 4 years until it's a hazard to your privacy.

Also, you should NOT care about SLi. That technology...
A few things I would like to address.
I'm almost 100% certain that your computer with that motherboard supports TPM 2.0 (It's TPM, not TMP.)
Also, the i9 109000 cannot run in an X99 motherboard so I don't really understand the chronological order of upgrading.
Anyways, windows 11 shouldn't be something you swap a perfectly good motherboard for if it is infact not compatible (I'm pretty sure it is though.. you should look deeper in your bios settings.)
Windows 11 is very similar to 10 in alot of aspects, especially those the average person would encounter in day to day life.
Windows 10 is also getting updates till 2025, so you have at least 4 years until it's a hazard to your privacy.

Also, you should NOT care about SLi. That technology is dead, and is unlikely to come back alive.
Ever since 2014, Nvidia has slowly killed SLi off, taking it off more and more cards and supporting less and less games.
As for 2020, and the launch of rtx 3000, only the rtx 3090 supports SLi, and only about 20~ games support SLi in general.
Nvidia also wrote a paper about how they would no longer implement seperate SLi compatability in drivers to each game like they have in the past, and instead rely on game developers to implement it into their game.
Which is something they are not going to do.

Solution

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your response. I am very sorry. Yes, I have made a mistake. It was an i7 CPU with the X99. I know that SLi is being killed off but I am re-playing old games, like the Mass Effect series (not the remastered ones). That is just one of them. I cannot afford to buy a new RTX card, nor any new game (though I may steal, sell to get funds for Dying Light 2 when it comes out). I have an SLi set up at the moment. I have checked my current motherboard, the ASUS one, there is no TPM (my apology for the typo before) nor PTT. Hence the request posted up here. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
If the only thing you're lacking right now is a TPM your CPU has one 'built in'. Look for a Platform Trust Technology or PTT setting in BIOS to enable it.
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I have checked my motherboard already. There is no TPM nor PTT facilities at all... :( Hence the request posted here. Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I have checked my motherboard already. There is no TPM nor PTT facilities at all... :( Hence the request posted here. Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Check with your motherboard support web site for an updated BIOS. Many manufacturers who treated TPM...or PTT...as a 'premium' feature only needed for up-market models released new BIOS' as Win11 came to release that make the settings available. If yours isn't getting one then you may wish to reconsider the brands you favor with your hard earned money in the future.

Otherwise...Win10 is as feature-rich as Win11 but doesn't require one and will receive full support until 2025. Since there's nothing really compelling about Win11 to make it really desireable or needed right now, just hang fast where your at.