Need help finding enclosure for ssd

tg88

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Hey guys. As the title says I am looking for an enclosure for my Samsung 840 pro ssd. But the thing is that I just want an enclosure only with no connections at the end.

I was going to buy this so that I can stick it in the enclosure along with the ssd :

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-10Gbps-Adapter-Cable-Drives/dp/B0133F30R8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_12?ie=UTF8&dpID=41dFV9grKPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=S6Y9JPACNY59JVCHSSG4

My main thing is, is it possible to maintain the same speeds of the ssd with what I am about to do?

Thank you so much for any help offered.

Solution
Well before you make that Amazon purchase for the item you indicated, make sure you know what you're ordering. Because I have the feeling it's NOT what you really want. That StarTech SATA-to-USB adapter version is designed for USB 3.1, not USB 3.0. Ordinarily it would still be OK to purchase since USB 3.1 is backwards compatible to USB 3.0. HOWEVER, note the USB connecter is Type C. I would bet you need a Type A USB connector.

I haven't the foggiest idea of what you mean when you say "...I can stick it in the enclosure". Enclosure? What enclosure?

As far as speed goes...No, it won't be as speedy as an internally-connected SSD. But it's fine for backup, storage, copying, etc. You're not intending to run an OS with that device, are you?
Well before you make that Amazon purchase for the item you indicated, make sure you know what you're ordering. Because I have the feeling it's NOT what you really want. That StarTech SATA-to-USB adapter version is designed for USB 3.1, not USB 3.0. Ordinarily it would still be OK to purchase since USB 3.1 is backwards compatible to USB 3.0. HOWEVER, note the USB connecter is Type C. I would bet you need a Type A USB connector.

I haven't the foggiest idea of what you mean when you say "...I can stick it in the enclosure". Enclosure? What enclosure?

As far as speed goes...No, it won't be as speedy as an internally-connected SSD. But it's fine for backup, storage, copying, etc. You're not intending to run an OS with that device, are you?

Solution