Need Help Finding Freeze Problems

Wazooh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hey, this is my first time on here, though I've lurked for a bit. I've recently put together a new machine, but for some reason it freezes up randomly. No error message or anything.
Here are my specs.

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.41ghz
1 GB ram
Nvidia Geforce 6800 ultra
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
MSI K8N Neo2 mobo

If any other information helps, I'll be glad to give it. Thanks in advance.

pat

Expert
Apart for the MSI motherboard, maybe your PSU is not powerful enough. What do you have for PSU?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Wazooh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
It's a 450 OCz Modstream. I don't know what's wrong... my brother built another machine with virtually the same parts (he has 3500+ instead of my 4000+) and he runs fine w/o any problems. It's probably something that I've done wrong... but I don't know what that is.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Wazooh on 03/05/05 11:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
This could be the result of incorrect/badly instaled drivers, background programs, registry errors, critical windows programs, etc.

Start with the drivers first/reinstal. Especially those "FORCEWARE" drivers. I've have had heaps of problems with them in the past.

What OS do you have?

I used to have freezing problems all the time with :-(WinME "one of the worst OS".

However it runs great now since I closed unneeded background processes such as PC Health, System Restore and others.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

Wazooh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Windows XP. I've installed all my drivers, but when I try to reinstall some, it freezes. It's really weird- if I just browse the internet, it's fine and no problems. Same with listening to music. However, whenever I try to perform something like playing HL2 or reinstalling software, it freezes.

I've disabled non-essential backgrounds, to no avail.

endyen

Splendid
Have you installed SP2? The agp drivers for nforce that come with SP2 have been known to cause this type of problem. Re-install the mobo drivers, though it may take a few attempts.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Before you reinstal Nvidia drivers, you must completely delete all traces of them first for best results - add/remove programs, then it's a good idea to check windows explorer just in case for any left over folders or associated programs.

So do the above, then shut down. But before restarting physically remove and reinstal the the graphics card. This solved a problem I had once too - must have been a faulty/dirt or dust in the AGP slot.

By doing the above, you can at least limit the possible causes.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

Wazooh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I've completely reinstalled all my drivers (sound, video, motherboard, processor), taken out and replaced video and sound cards. No luck. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
I challenge you all to find what's wrong . :)

Do this: Go to this <A HREF="http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/" target="_new">Wattage Calculator</A> and figure out how much continuous wattage your system requires and then let us know.

Wazooh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Yes, the problem has been present since I booted up windows.

Yes, the fans are all spinning freely, and the video card has direct power from the PSU.

The wattage calculator does not have the AMD 64 4000+, but I chose the nearest to it and only ended up requiring 331 watts. I have 450.

Keep the suggestions coming, I really appreciate the help.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Could be a Cool&Quiet problem. try disabling it the Bios.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
You need a power supply that supports at least 600 Watts or even better a 650 Watt power supply.

That is the reason you are most likely freezing with that system set-up it is under powered.

A good Power Supply for that fix is the below linked ENERMAX POWER SUPPLY;

<A HREF="http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21102" target="_new">http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21102</A>

It has PCIe (PCI Express options for later as well if you ever upgrade your current system)

GAMERS CHOICE

What they never tell anyone much about is the DUTY CYCLE capability's of a power supply.

You could have a 800 Watt power supply but if it has no duty cycle then your screwed.

The above linked power supply has a low duty cycle meaning it will constantly feed the correct voltages to your motherboard and CPU without any power drop off.

It also separately provides power on divided channels to your hard drives, CD Rom's, CPU and graphics card. This provides power independent to all your hardware.

And it's only $89.00 bucks and better then all the $250.00 power supply's on the market :smile:

Thank me later dude!

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=orange>LOVES</font color=orange> <font color=red>CANADA</font color=red>

SoD: That's $20 less than at Newegg - great find!

Waz: SoD just pointed out what I was getting at. Even though power supplies are rated at a certain wattage, that is their MAX wattage. Optimally, your continuous use wattage (the 331W that you calculated) should be no more than 50-65% of your PSUs rated capacity. In you case, you're running at over 70% - this may be causing your stability issues. And the 331W is based on an X800 vid card and 3500-3900+ CPU - the percent may be even higher.

Wazooh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Alright, I think I'll have to get a new PSU. I had thought the 450 would be enough, and it is for my brother's machine. (Same except for the processor.) In case it's not, any other suggestions?

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
btw, it is recommended by nvidia that you have a psu taht supports over 480 watts for stability issues, so i think the psu is definitely the problem here

<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I thought Nv lowered it to 350 watts. I know BFG still recommends something like 470 watts. I have a 6800 U BFG and it worked alright with an Enermax with 420 watts. I don’t know if my P4 2.8 takes less power and it’s also OC. I’m not saying it’s can’t be the PS, just thinks it’s a waist of money if it isn’t.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
I know that is why I posted the link. I am getting one and so are friends we are getting them now already in the mail.

Now!! A typical IS7 motherboard supporting Intel 2.0 GHz and up with a 20 pin MoB connector is recommended in the manual for a 600 to 650 Watt power supply.

To put this very simply so that every Tom Dic and Harry LOL can understand.

Any motherboard that supports AGP version 3.0 and I don't care if it is a 400 or 800 FSB needs a minimum 600 Watt power supply supporting independent channels for different hardware devices plugged into it.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=orange>LOVES</font color=orange> <font color=red>CANADA</font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
My wife's computer is using a 350 Watt Enermax power supply dual fan.

It is currently powering an AMD XP3200+ a Geforce 4Ti 4200 8X AGP card, two 80 gig Maxtor hard drives a Burner/CD and a DVD player as well as Graphics card fan and 3 extra case fans.

Never had a single problem with it. It does the job in spades however I am getting her SATA hard drives and a new Geforce 6800 GT graphics card and I need the SATA power connectors and the increased power handling required for the new card and upgraded 3200+ CPU.

Since I know this already I snapped up that power supply I posted about for her.

What pisses me off is the Power supply I have on my 64FX system that cost over $250 bucks has exactly the same bloody options as the $89 dollar one I just found and posted the linky on.

OUCH! Sorry you had to feel that pain, but glad you helped us out on here! Can you return the other PSU and get on of the Enermax ones?

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
LOL the PSU is an ENERMAX I purchased from a local P.C shop I have long time business ties too.

I will keep the expensive one its already hooked to the new system they came to life together from the first day I pushed the on button they will die together.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I had ordered a PS the same time I did my new card, but the card was here a few days earlier. I paid a few dollars more for an <A HREF="http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=71020" target="_new"> Enermax power supply</A> and it also doesn’t appear to have some of the features as the one you link to. I’ll use the old PS to build my kids PC, but first will have to take the PC away from my mother and put a new HDD in her clunker.

Wazooh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi. Well I got the new PSU (I was already ordering some other things anwyays,) and I've set it up. No improvement. Not complaining about the money loss, I needed upgrade to another computer. However, Is there something else I can try? Any other suggestions? If it is my memory, is there anyway I can test it to see what's wrong? I have 2x 512 OCz cards. Thanks.