[SOLVED] Need Help Finding Internal USB Adapters for Motherboard and Front Case USB Expansion Card and PC Case USB Ports

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I plan to build a new gaming PC. In my previous builds I have used the traditional USB 3.0 flash drives and plugs ( I believe it was Type-A or whatever is the most common plug type for USB 3.0). Now, I have purchased a new motherboard. It is a
Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard. According to the specs, it has 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB headers (X570 UD (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global). I also purchased a front USB Expansion Card for my case. It is a USB3.12 Type-C Forward Reverse Audio 3.5 Inch Interface Front Panel Desktop Computer Metal Front Panel USB Hub (USB3.12 Type-C Forward Reverse Audio 3.5 Inch Interface Front Panel Desktop Computer Metal Front Panel USB Hub - Walmart.com - Walmart.com). The PC case that I have ordered has two USB 3.0 ports on its front. The case is a Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG PH-ES614PTG_BK Integrated RGB lighting Tempered Glass Side Panel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Black (Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG PH-ES614PTG_BK Integrated RGB lighting Tempered Glass Side Panel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Black - Newegg.com ). I would like to connect both the front USB expansion card and the case's front USB 3.0 ports to the motherboard. I am sure you can easily lookup the diagram of the motherboard on Google. I am not an expert on all of the types of USB plugs, but my understanding is that the newer standards are generally backwards compatible with the older standards. Could you please provide me with recommendations on internal adapters or interface units that would allow me to connect these USB devices to the motherboard as well as links to online retailers where I can make the purchases?

Thanks.

Solution
I have looked over the specs online. I would appreciate confirmation if I understand this correctly, but it appears to me that the USB capabilities on the motherboard are basically identical to that of the old USB 3.0 specification. If that is the case, then I will return that USB expansion card and just use an internal USB splitter to connect the front case USB 3.0 ports to the motherboard.

Thanks.
Well, some of the capabilities.
USB 2.0, 3.0 & 3.1 could use the same USB type connector and are backward compatible.
USB 3.1 Gen 2 could come as SB type C connector or port.
When it come to speed.
USB 3.0 is capable of data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps. To makes things a bit confusing , USB 3.0 is also called USB 3.1 Gen 1.
USB...
I plan to build a new gaming PC. In my previous builds I have used the traditional USB 3.0 flash drives and plugs ( I believe it was Type-A or whatever is the most common plug type for USB 3.0). Now, I have purchased a new motherboard. It is a Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard. According to the specs, it has 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB headers (X570 UD (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global).
That Phanteks PC case already comes with 2 front USB 3.0 ports and the motherboard has 4 USB 3.2 ports.
Do you need more USB 3.x ports
Do you need a USB type C port?
If you want more USB 3.0 ports, why not consider a PC case with more USB 3.0 ports.
If you want USB type C, then you should have consider a motherboard with a USB type C header.

I also purchased a front USB Expansion Card for my case. It is a USB3.12 Type-C Forward Reverse Audio 3.5 Inch Interface Front Panel Desktop Computer Metal Front Panel USB Hub (USB3.12 Type-C Forward Reverse Audio 3.5 Inch Interface Front Panel Desktop Computer Metal Front Panel USB Hub - Walmart.com - Walmart.com).
You purchased a 3.5" inch front bay, but the Phanteks PC case has 5.25" inch front bays.

The PC case that I have ordered has two USB 3.0 ports on its front. The case is a Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG PH-ES614PTG_BK Integrated RGB lighting Tempered Glass Side Panel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Black (Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG PH-ES614PTG_BK Integrated RGB lighting Tempered Glass Side Panel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Black - Newegg.com ). I would like to connect both the front USB expansion card and the case's front USB 3.0 ports to the motherboard.
If you want both then you need a 20-pin USB 3.0 splitter

I am sure you can easily lookup the diagram of the motherboard on Google. I am not an expert on all of the types of USB plugs, but my understanding is that the newer standards are generally backwards compatible with the older standards. Could you please provide me with recommendations on internal adapters or interface units that would allow me to connect these USB devices to the motherboard as well as links to online retailers where I can make the purchases?
Thanks.
What would you like to accomplish?
Which USB devices are you traying to connect?
Be specific.

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I would like to move up the chain in USB 3.0 speed. Although I do not currently have any devices that use the USB Type-C or whatever the category is for the skinnier USB plug, I would like to have that plugin option available just in case I purchase a device that uses that type of connection.

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I have looked over the specs online. I would appreciate confirmation if I understand this correctly, but it appears to me that the USB capabilities on the motherboard are basically identical to that of the old USB 3.0 specification. If that is the case, then I will return that USB expansion card and just use an internal USB splitter to connect the front case USB 3.0 ports to the motherboard.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Well, some of the capabilities.
USB 2.0, 3.0 & 3.1 could use the same USB type connector and are backward compatible.
USB 3.1 Gen 2 could come as SB type C connector or port.
When it come to speed.
USB 3.0 is capable of data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps. To makes things a bit confusing , USB 3.0 is also called USB 3.1 Gen 1.
USB 3.1 Gen 2 is capable of up to 10Gbps data transfer speeds.

Your USB devices should work just fine on that motherboard and PC case.
If you get faster devices you could take advantage of the transfer speeds.
If later on you get a device that requires type C and you need to connected to the PC, then you could get a cable or USB type A to USB type C adapter.

Solution