[SOLVED] Need help finding modem-router setup compatible w/ATT 1g fiber optic service?

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
We are migrating to AT&T's 1gig Fiber Optic service this week. We realize they have specific requirements and will provide a gateway to bring the service into the house. But we want to be able to provide our own modem & router (or combo) units to plug our equipment into.

But we are having problems finding any modems, routers or modem/router combos that are compatible with AT&T fiber service.

Currently we have Netgear Nighthawk CM1150V modem, but it was specifically designed for Comcast and will not work with AT&T. So we need to find a replacement that will work with AT&T, even if we have to go to a combo unit. Can't find any information to verify what would be the best to purchase. Keep running into that "not compatible" problem with AT&T fiber.

As for our router, we currently are using Netgear's Smart WiFi Router AC1750 which provides sufficient ports for all our equipment (3 computers and one phone) that use those Ethernet ports on the back of the router. Nothing on the box or in my research has even mentioned if this unit would be compatible with the service, but I assume it would if we could just find the right modem to use.

Need help please.

Solution
Att is one of the worst providers when it comes to using your own equipment. They call everything uverse and force you to use their hardware even on many of their dsl connections.

You can't use cable modems on att it must have a optical interface. There are 3 or 4 common methods of providing service over fiber and I don't know which att uses. It doesn't really matter they generally have to activate the device on their network and they will not do that.

Pretty much with att you are stuck with using their box in dmz mod. I think they call it passthrough. I don't think there is any way to get a actual public ip assigned to your router.

Still it should work fine for most things just put pretty much any router behind he att one...
Att is one of the worst providers when it comes to using your own equipment. They call everything uverse and force you to use their hardware even on many of their dsl connections.

You can't use cable modems on att it must have a optical interface. There are 3 or 4 common methods of providing service over fiber and I don't know which att uses. It doesn't really matter they generally have to activate the device on their network and they will not do that.

Pretty much with att you are stuck with using their box in dmz mod. I think they call it passthrough. I don't think there is any way to get a actual public ip assigned to your router.

Still it should work fine for most things just put pretty much any router behind he att one and configure the att to send all the data to your router. The ATT device is designed to pass gigabit traffic so it should should not slow you down.

Solution

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Thank you very much for this information. I came to the same conclusion shortly after speaking with one of their kind cs agents from their store web page. Its amazing how easy it was to find someone who actually listened to what I wanted to find and help me go through the steps to figure out if what I wanted to do was possible. Same conclusion....their gateway was something we could not really get around. So will be using our router behind their gateway and shall get the tech to set all of that up when he gets here. That was confirmed with my call too. So I know their tech will take those extra steps for setup as long as we have the equipment on hand to use.

In a way having them provide the box and the guarantee for service on it, is worth the $10 monthly cost based upon our past experiences with how modems can bork. Forcing you to have to deal with a company who really doesn't service their own equipment, and the provider who can't help you either, is a PITA too. So we'll go with this as it is, but at least I know that, as this type of service is rolled out, we just might see some differences and improvements along the way.

Am going to use our Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router with their gateway. Since both of us game we are always wired to our router and never had a problem with it using our current service. The problem we are having is our current isp service sucks eggs and I've had to get into a food fight (so-to-speak) with them ...so I just reported them to the FCC.

Amazing what a public critical report can accomplish in getting help that should have been forthcoming in the first place. Got a call on Sunday morning from one of their corporate escalation team members who did the job in 5 minutes what the call to the technical help line failed to do in 3 hours. But the damage was already done....my son is not very forgiving for stupidity. Therefore, the switch to AT&T fiber. Good thing is, we are getting fiber service (which he really wanted all along) at less cost than what we pay for current service overall, even taking into consideration we have to pay that $10/mo fee for the box.