[SOLVED] Need help finding out if this graphics card is dead

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
Hey,

I've recently noticed games that I used to get 60+ FPS in I now get around 12-20 FPS. I reinstalled my graphics drivers, which worked for a day, however it has happened again. Instead of constantly patching the problem, I decided to investigate it and I found out using HWinfo and Afterburner that my graphics card's clock is running at 405MHz, from a norm of 950MHz, and its memory clock is ranging from just 81MHz to 324MHz. It's sat at 35C in min and max, despite me trying to play CSGO and the core voltage is just 0.95V.

Some backstory on the Graphics Card itself, I bought it a few months ago. It was advertised as a GTX 750ti, however recently I was helping a friend find out why his rig was performing way below expectations when I found out the card he said was a GTX 1060 looked exactly the same as mine. I did some digging and found out that the GPUs on both of our cards were GPUs used in the GTX 550ti. So, I've came to the conclusion both of us were scammed with a 1GB GTX 550ti. The bigger problem is that the GPU thinks it's a 750ti, so I have to use the probably cracked version of the graphics drivers that the seller provided, as I can't use 750ti drivers since the card simply can't use them due to the fact it's not a 750ti, or use 550ti drivers as the card is saying it's a 750ti and refusing to install them.

Thanks,
Harry

Solution
Too bad, it looks like you were both scammed.
Can you take action with the seller?
If you bought on ebay or amazon, I think you should be able to get some sort of relief.

If you were running well before, what has changed?
Can you use system restore to reset your pc back to when all was well?

Probably best to plan on a legit replacement card.
If you bought on ebay or amazon, I think you should be able to get some sort of relief.

Solution

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018

Sadly the refund time frame ended a bit ago, it took some time to arrive and then some more to find out it wasn't as I had been lead to believe.

Nothing has changed as this happened within a day.

As soon as I have the money I'm replacing it, just that may not be for several months. I was more wondering if there is any hope in trying to remedy it.

Where did you buy the cards from?
Forget the refund time.
Complain of fraud and demand your money back.
If you bought on amazon or ebay, they will protect you.
If you paid by credit card, file a claim with the credit card company.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The problem with those GPUs is that not only are they BIOS faked to look like a better GPU, the chips aren't even real they are cloned. Its admirable you're trying to get it to work, but this task is futile, that card was a paperweight the day you bought it. Most likely the GPU chip or memory is starting to fail.

Toss it in the trash before it does fail and does some damage on the way out.

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
Where did you buy the cards from?
Forget the refund time.
Complain of fraud and demand your money back.
If you bought on amazon or ebay, they will protect you.
If you paid by credit card, file a claim with the credit card company.

I bought it from Ebay, I'll send their support email a message and follow that. Thank you

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
The problem with those GPUs is that not only are they BIOS faked to look like a better GPU, the chips aren't even real they are cloned. Its admirable you're trying to get it to work, but this task is futile, that card was a paperweight the day you bought it. Most likely the GPU chip or memory is starting to fail.

Toss it in the trash before it does fail and does some damage on the way out.
I'll remove it from my system once I get home from work, thank you

Reactions: Rogue Leader