[SOLVED] Need help finding out what happened to a certain Intel laptop processor chip.

JonasTechButchery

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
Need help finding out what happen to certain Intel laptop processor chip, it was amazing chip but it looks like they shut it down or rebranded ?

So a little background first, i used to have this laptop Celeron N3050 it was pain slow but battery lasted 9-13hr surf wich is most important thing to me. Then this N2840 celeron laptop pased trough my hands and I noticed that N2840>>>>>> N3050, it was much much faster and powerful despite the fact that is older design *much older. The battery would last 6hr20min surf but when power saver on (no turbo + half clock) I would get almost 11 hours of surf...... amazing.........

After doing some research I noticed that N2840 is a different chip 7-watt design that works at 2,16 ghz default clock 2,56 turbo, while N3050 works 1.6 ghz with same turbo and is 6watt chip. I was almost sure it was a different chip. But now this TYPE of chip is noware to be found, looked everyware on intel specs and the last one was N3540 same thing just 4 cores almost no diference in speed. After that nothing...

For instance N3050 evolved into N3060 then N3150 then N3710... same style. Then this new chip shows up 1.1 ghz that bursts into 2.6 ghz i guess this is improved development of N3000 chip that worked on 1.04 ghz. (N3350 N4000 N5000) ?

But what happpen to the 7-watt chip? Was this chip cut from design/production? or was rebranded core M-y or what happen to it? I'm curious to know what they did with it..

Solution
Your understanding of CPU development is the issue here. Intel don't always iterate over older designs forever, sometimes they just cancel an entire product line because it is too similar to an existing product line or because it is not selling well.

In this case the N3540 wasn't selling well and was very close in features and price to the N3700, so they stopped it and merged it with the N3700.

kanewolf

Titan
Need help finding out what happen to certain Intel laptop processor chip, it was amazing chip but it looks like they shut it down or rebranded ?

So a little background first, i used to have this laptop Celeron N3050 it was pain slow but battery lasted 9-13hr surf wich is most important thing to me. Then this N2840 celeron laptop pased trough my hands and I noticed that N2840>>>>>> N3050, it was much much faster and powerful despite the fact that is older design *much older. The battery would last 6hr20min surf but when power saver on (no turbo + half clock) I would get almost 11 hours of surf...... amazing.........

After doing some research I noticed that N2840 is a different chip 7-watt design that works at 2,16 ghz default clock 2,56 turbo, while N3050 works 1.6 ghz with same turbo and is 6watt chip. I was almost sure it was a different chip. But now this TYPE of chip is noware to be found, looked everyware on intel specs and the last one was N3540 same thing just 4 cores almost no diference in speed. After that nothing...

For instance N3050 evolved into N3060 then N3150 then N3710... same style. Then this new chip shows up 1.1 ghz that bursts into 2.6 ghz i guess this is improved development of N3000 chip that worked on 1.04 ghz. (N3350 N4000 N5000) ?

But what happpen to the 7-watt chip? Was this chip cut from design/production? or was rebranded core M-y or what happen to it? I'm curious to know what they did with it..
I don't understand the question. What happened? It is a 7 year old CPU. Nothing "happened" other than Intel moved on. It was a 7+ watt chip because it was a 22nm -- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-n2840-1m-cache-up-to-2-58-ghz.html
The N3050 was a 14nm -- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-n3050-2m-cache-up-to-2-16-ghz.html so lower power.

Reactions: dorsai

JonasTechButchery

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
I don't understand the question. What happened? It is a 7 year old CPU. Nothing "happened" other than Intel moved on. It was a 7+ watt chip because it was a 22nm -- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-n2840-1m-cache-up-to-2-58-ghz.html
The N3050 was a 14nm -- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-n3050-2m-cache-up-to-2-16-ghz.html so lower power.
I did not explain it well. Most chips evolve by the year into more powerful versions of that "concept" The nm thing alowes them to add more resistors in same pacage or make pacage smaller. There is a pattern in Intel chips like "bloodlines" in a way...

N3050 evolved next year into N3060 10% more powerful, then into N3150 20% more powerful, then N3710 they are all like a family that keeps getting more powerful by the year.
Then this line became rebranded Pentium Gold..... same clock same turbo same pattern it's obvious.

Same thing goes with N3350 family it became next year N3450 then N4000 then pentium silver rebrand N5000...

This 7 watt design first became N3510 then N3540 and then nothing. So what did Intel do with it? Did they shut it down because it was giving too much bang for the buck or did they increase clockspeed and by doing so wattage to 10wats and rebranded the line as "J xxxx" ......

This one i find most interesting because it runs on huge clockspeed without turbo while only drawing 7wats that is just WOW... This chip "bloodline" is different from the other cheap pack it is much more potent... 2.16 ghz at 7watts that is insane... so what the heck happen to it...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Your understanding of CPU development is the issue here. Intel don't always iterate over older designs forever, sometimes they just cancel an entire product line because it is too similar to an existing product line or because it is not selling well.

In this case the N3540 wasn't selling well and was very close in features and price to the N3700, so they stopped it and merged it with the N3700.

Solution