[SOLVED] Need help finding out what is wrong exactly with my pc

tristan_vidal888

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018
I built this pc about 6 months ago and its never run very well. For the specs it has i should be able to play games pretty comfortably im not asking for much, just medium-high graphics with stable 120 fps or 144. For the life of me these pasts months i cannot pin point the issue and it frustrates me when people have the same setup and dont have my isssues. My specs are

Gtx 1060 3gb
Ryzen 2600 cpu
16gb ram
120gb ssd
1 TB hdd

I cannot play cod without dropping frames or its very choppy with sudden frame drops usually. I suspect it could be my hard drive because its the only remaining old thing from my old rig that ive had for 8 years and does tend to run at 100% usage while in game and spike a lot. MY cpu also runs at 100% aswell while playing games such as star wars battlefront and even poe( although poe does tend to run like <Mod Edit> for a lot of people). Point is im tired of this garbage performance i just want stable fps on semi nice graphics and i should be able to achieve that with this setup. I know my gpu is very lack luster but i dont think its the issue mainly. I have tried to monitor it on task manager of whats spiking but im not sure how to due to the fact when i alt tab out of game to check my cpu/gpu/disk/ go back to normal. and the graph doesnt seem very consistent. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
D
You make a windows 10 USB using the windows media creation tool and you boot to the USB and you format your drive during the install using the advanced option

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I built this pc about 6 months ago and its never run very well. For the specs it has i should be able to play games pretty comfortably im not asking for much, just medium-high graphics with stable 120 fps or 144. For the life of me these pasts months i cannot pin point the issue and it frustrates me when people have the same setup and dont have my isssues. My specs are

Gtx 1060 3gb
Ryzen 2600 cpu
16gb ram
120gb ssd
1 TB hdd

I cannot play cod without dropping frames or its very choppy with sudden frame drops usually. I suspect it could be my hard drive because its the only remaining old thing from my old rig that ive had for 8 years and does tend to run at 100% usage while in game and spike a lot. MY cpu also runs at 100% aswell while playing games such as star wars battlefront and even poe( although poe does tend to run like <Mod Edit> for a lot of people). Point is im tired of this garbage performance i just want stable fps on semi nice graphics and i should be able to achieve that with this setup. I know my gpu is very lack luster but i dont think its the issue mainly. I have tried to monitor it on task manager of whats spiking but im not sure how to due to the fact when i alt tab out of game to check my cpu/gpu/disk/ go back to normal. and the graph doesnt seem very consistent. Any help is appreciated!
As the above person said, can we get the model of the power supply?
Also, can you check the health of both drives?
Have you installed the latest drivers for your graphics card?

Last edited by a moderator:

tristan_vidal888

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018
did you do a fresh os install 6 months ago?
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ram/ssd/hdd usage?

how full is the ssd?
make and model of the psu?
malware scan the system?
For the OS i dont think i did. My OS(win10) was already on my ssd so i just transfered it out of the old rig and into the new.
Not sure about temps, is there a way to record them while im in game so i have the results to look at after games? i have msi after burner.
ram and ssd appear to be normal usuage when i do look at them. HDD seems to be the one thats at 100% most the time.
SSD is pretty full its only got 25gbs free left but its only my OS and PoE on it.
PSU is evga White 500 watt.
And ive scanned yesterday i never find anything. I use malywarebites free version to do it tho.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
For the OS i dont think i did. My OS(win10) was already on my ssd so i just transfered it out of the old rig and into the new.
Not sure about temps, is there a way to record them while im in game so i have the results to look at after games? i have msi after burner.
ram and ssd appear to be normal usuage when i do look at them. HDD seems to be the one thats at 100% most the time.
SSD is pretty full its only got 25gbs free left but its only my OS and PoE on it.
PSU is evga bronze 650 watt.
And ive scanned yesterday i never find anything. I use malywarebites free version to do it tho.
For MSI Afterburner just set the settings in the on screen display to have it show CPU and GPU temps

D

Deleted member 14196

PSU is evga White 500 watt.
You need to reinstall windows fresh by formatting ssd and reinstalling windows. that’s your main problem

Make sure your RAM is running at its rated speed. If this RAM has an XMP profile, then by default it probably runs much slower. A 1060 is not a "fast" GPU, but it will be limited if data throughput is unable to feed it. Also, if you play games with too much texture, then 3GB of VRAM may not be enough.

D

Deleted member 14196

You make a windows 10 USB using the windows media creation tool and you boot to the USB and you format your drive during the install using the advanced option

Solution