Need help finding quality SSD for cheap

Dec 13, 2018
Hello everyone, i want to surprise my grandpa with an SSD for his 10 year old desktop. He recently upgraded the ram to 8gb thanks to help from me, i talked to him about SSDs before and how they could really help speed up his system but he didn't sound to impressed or maybe he didn't understand. I want to get him a 500gb SSD for around 50 bucks 60 is ok too. I want it to last a long time so a quality trusted brand is a must as well as Amazon Prime.

USAFRet

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from rappermcflapper : "Need help with SSD compatibility"

They are backwards compatible.
You'll not get the full speed from an SSD, but it should be a significant improvement anyway.

Dec 13, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from rappermcflapper : "Need help with SSD compatibility"

So my grandpa has an old desktop with a mb that only supports SATAII 3Gb/s, SSDs these days are mostly SATAlll. What do i do?

Dec 13, 2018

Is it worth it then? I don't want to spend 80 bucks on something that will slightly improve the PC

Dec 13, 2018

I know, when i buy the samsung 860 evo what kind of cable will i need since it doesn't come with one? First time installing one.

USAFRet

Titan

It uses the exact same cables as the existing hard drive.
Power cable comes off the PSU. Data cable goes to a port on the motherboard.

What are you planning to do with the OS? Which OS is this?

Dec 13, 2018

Ok, it already has windows 7 home premium on a hard drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
And are you planning on having the OS on the SSD? Recommended.

You'd need to either do a clean install of the OS on the new drive, or clone everything from the old drive to the new one.

Cables, you'll need one extra SATA data cable.

12 pack, $9
https://www.amazon.com/Benfei-Straight-Locking-Compatible-Driver/dp/B07DRF1XDC

3 pack, $7
https://www.amazon.com/BENFEI-Straight-Locking-Compatible-Driver/dp/B07CWQDPG7

bignastyid

Titan
FYI, we can read deleted messages. I suggest you have patience. This is a community of volunteers(most of us have lives outside of here and it is a holiday weekend) and acting rude and impatient will discourage others from continuing to help now and in the future.