Question Need help finishing build

Brianoforris

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
Alright, so first off, you guys helped me put together my daughter’s pc in 2014 and it’s still going strong. You’re awesome.

Now, I’ve got a few modest parts from a friend. They didn’t come in the boxes so I’m unsure which specific parts they were so that I can put them in pcpartpicker and figure out which parts are compatible with them. I need a hard drive and and windows, my friend gave me a case.
Please help me figure out what to get.
View: https://imgur.com/a/FU5D1Fl

Pictures 1,2, and 3 are an XFX RX560P4S 4GB 1024SP version.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/h397YJ/xfx-radeon-rx-560-1024-4gb-video-card-rx-560p4sfg5
This is a capable card and game pretty well in 1080p in modern titles.

The rest is an MSI B250M Pro-VD motherboard. This board is older but still pretty modern and compatable with both 6th and 7th generation Intel core processors.
It also appears to have a cpu and cooler. You would have to take the cooler off to see what cpu it is.

The ram is odd. That is laptop SODIMM ram crammed into a desktop motherboard. That won't work, so you will need different ram.

Do you have a psu? it may have come with the case, if not, you need one. I would think you also need some desktop ddr4 2133 or 2400 ram as well.

Last edited:
If that motherboard was EVER started up with those SODIMMs installed in the memory slots, there is a very good chance that the motherboard, or the motherboard AND CPU, are shot. That memory belongs in a laptop, not a desktop board, ever. Whoever did that, well, let's just say don't ever take tech advice from them or let them work on any system belonging to you.

Brianoforris

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
If that motherboard was EVER started up with those SODIMMs installed in the memory slots, there is a very good chance that the motherboard, or the motherboard AND CPU, are shot. That memory belongs in a laptop, not a desktop board, ever. Whoever did that, well, let's just say don't ever take tech advice from them or let them work on any system belonging to you.

He was trying to build one and failed. And gave me the parts. Since it cost me nothing and he wasn’t claiming to be an expert, I’m just grateful for the donation.

I'm sorry, but I'd never use adapters. Memory compatibility can be fickle enough as it is, without adding the extra consideration of problems with adapters into the mix. If you ever have memory related problems you'll have no way, at all, of knowing whether the problem is the memory itself or the adapters. I'd just sell those memory modules if you can and get new memory for this system.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill - Value 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $30.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-15 15:02 EDT-0400

Brianoforris

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
Thanks again for all the help! I’ve always gamed on consoles. I never would have gotten my kid’s pc built properly without all your help four years ago. This community is awesome.

Brianoforris

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
Alright so once again this is what I have. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mhGRZR
I need an ssd, ram, windows, an optical drive, a couple of fans (there aren’t any in the case that my friend gave me), and a keyboard and mouse. I know I’ve asked a lot but if I can get some advice, I’m going to make the purchase on amazon today. For the ram, I’m willing to get 16gb, unless that’s useless because the rest of the build is budget. Looking for budget hard drive, optical drive. Not looking to go crazy but I’d like to get a cool keyboard, if not a crazy expensive mouse. Help me set up this purchase please 😘 I see some stuff that you’ve already recommended like the ssd but a couple of things I hadn’t mentioned yet so I figured I would ask one last time.

I don't think I'd bother with that higher end heat sink'd memory on that system. It doesn't need it. It's never going to get the memory subsystem hot enough considering the CPU that is in use, to need it. Too few cores and too low of frequency. I'd just get the less expensive modules I listed earlier.

If you feel the NEED to have memory with heatsinks or use higher end modules, I'd stick to Corsair or G.Skill.

These would be a very good choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $35.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-15 21:29 EDT-0400

16GB seems like a waste with that CPU and graphics card. It's never going to be capable of utilizing it fully anyhow, but if you want to do 16GB rather than 8GB, then I'd personally recommend these:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $54.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-15 21:33 EDT-0400

I much prefer Corsair, G.Skill, Mushkin or even Kingston over Team. Team is ok, but I've found it very difficult to get US based support for them.

Brianoforris

Honorable
Aug 10, 2014
I’m just going to go with the 8gb, thanks for the recommendation. I can’t find any of the ones you recommended at amazon though, and that’s where I wanna buy tonight because I have a $15 off coupon. I’ll try to find something similar and post it here to make sure it’s good before I buy it.