Need help finishing gaming build

Zomboni

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Hey everyone! I need some help finishing my PC gaming build. Iv'e been stuck with a regular home PC for quite some time now and a few months ago I decided to start upgrading it.

I first bought an HD Radeon 5850 graphics card that came with a Thermaltake TR2 600w power supply. I had hoped (foolishly) that I could stick those parts in my home PC and it would accept the upgrade. I was wrong, it didn't work as I expected. So now I'm trying to find a good CPU, motherboard, and ram to fully finish the upgrade. I don't need to worry about any other components as my old PC has a good case, hard drive, os, monitor... all that jazz.

My budget is approximately 400-500 dollars for just the CPU/mobo/ram.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In two weeks

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: hardcore gamin', surfing the web.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: power supply, graphics card, case, hard drive, disc drive, OS, mouse, keyboard, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg but I'm open to anything

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD, quad or hex core, 4GB of ram

OVERCLOCKING: I will overclock the CPU

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I can see myself buying another 5850 down the road so the mobo should be crossfire compatible.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680 by 1050 for now but I probably will upgrade to 1920 by 1080 eventually

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm building this to max out all games on the market right now (especially dx11 games) like Bad Company 2, Stalker: Call of Pripyat, Crysis, Supreme Commander 2, Starcraft 2, WoW, Fallout 3... you get the idea. I also have Windows 7 64 bit

I'm really interested in hex core processing because I feel it will help keep my computer from becoming obsolete down the road. Although I know quad core processors are still running strong. Should I go with hex or quad core?

Just some idle questions here. Is a Thermaltake TR2 600w power supply going to be compatible with whatever CPU/mobo you guys choose? I can get a new power supply if I need to but I'd prefer not to. Also, is 4GB worth of ram fine for gaming? I'm fairly sure it is but I want to hear it from somebody with more experience.

ares1214

Splendid

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Excellent recommendation by ares1214.

I'd agree with just getting a 955 and then if you find you need an upgrade in processing power, check out Bulldozer, which AMD has said will be compatible with AM3.

Most games these days don't use all 4 cores, much less 6.

ares1214

Splendid
right, most games are still at 2 cores, only some new ones are at 4 now. and i have the 955, even for heavy computing, its amazing, for heavy gaming, its NEVER the bottleneck. i highly recommend that. i also love MSI, i have the MSI 790FX and its great. i hear the 890FX ones are even better as far as features.