[SOLVED] Need help fixing my ROG Zephyrus G15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2021
Greetings everyone....

My kids mistakenly poured juice over my laptop (this particular model) and it stopped working as expected. I dismantled it, deeply inspected and found a total of 4 blackened SMD capacitors (I believe they're ceramic capacitors).

I have moderate experience with soldering and wouldn't mind replacing those capacitors, except I don't know what resistance to use. Could anyone please help me identify the resistance of those burnt capacitors in order to replace them?

I know there could be more damage but I also know there's no way I could replace the whole board as I got it as a present and I'm almost broke. I could provide any amount of pictures in case they'd help since I removed the board away and cleaned everything with %99 IPA to perfect factory condition for a start.
Preliminary images can be found HERE for the before and after cleaning.

Any and all help is deeply appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
If i where you i would take it to professional who can use ultrasonic cleaner and sort it out, fixing this yourself is very hard. Read below only if you have no choice.

Without ultrasonic cleaner there might be juice still stuck under the chips, also there might be other shorted / dead components than those 4 capacitors.

I can already see more damage, if you have multimeter check the Coils for short to ground, with marking R15 028 381.
If you see shorted circuit try remove the dead looking capacitors (seems like one is missing completely) from the board and check for short again. You can try booting without the caps if you find no short. I cant say anything without schematics and for that i need motherboard model number (written...
If i where you i would take it to professional who can use ultrasonic cleaner and sort it out, fixing this yourself is very hard. Read below only if you have no choice.

Without ultrasonic cleaner there might be juice still stuck under the chips, also there might be other shorted / dead components than those 4 capacitors.

I can already see more damage, if you have multimeter check the Coils for short to ground, with marking R15 028 381.
If you see shorted circuit try remove the dead looking capacitors (seems like one is missing completely) from the board and check for short again. You can try booting without the caps if you find no short. I cant say anything without schematics and for that i need motherboard model number (written somewhere on the mobo)

https://ibb.co/fN32bzj

If removing the caps wont remove short on the coil, then remove coil on that line. Try boot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fredrick.Sylar
Solution
Oct 29, 2021

If you see shorted circuit try remove the dead looking capacitors (seems like one is missing completely) from the board and check for short again. You can try booting without the caps if you find no short. I cant say anything without schematics and for that i need motherboard model number (written somewhere on the mobo)

https://ibb.co/fN32bzj

If removing the caps wont remove short on the coil, then remove coil on that line. Try boot.
I sincerely apologize for the late reply as I had one , if not the, most hectic weeks of my life and I couldn't check here again.
Sadly, there are no professionals in my city and that's why I have to do it myself, even getting the %99 IPA got me waiting 4 months until I finally received them (I have a resin 3D printer, not for general cleaning purposes but it works anyway).
I cleaned everything 4 times just to make sure they're properly cleaned, I have a multimeter but I'm don't even know how to use it but a friend is helping me with this so hopefully we can pull it off.
I made sure not to brush too hard and used a soft painter's brush to do so, noticed there might be a missing capacitor but was kind of reassured that it had no solder to begin with so hopefully it's not missing.
I'll follow your instructions as best I can, document findings and try to look for the motherboard serial or model number for if you could kindly find the schematics.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the late reply and appreciate your kind help.

Without schematics and a parts list there's no way to know what those burnt components are. You will not find schematics anywhere but the manufacturer, and, they will not provide them to anyone not an authorized service center and having signed a very strict non disclosure. In addition, unless you are highly skilled in surface mount repair you will destroy the board. There's also no way to know what other components have been damaged/destroyed. This is a complete write off.

Status
Not open for further replies.